Fall Aerating is around the corner

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by MisterBreeze, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MisterBreeze

MisterBreeze LawnSite Member

Looking ahead to fall aerating. I usually advertise a package deal including Aeration, seed and lime or just aerating. People seem to like the package deal becasue it seems like a good deal. I'm not sure if I need to add a starter fertilizer and take out the lime. Any thoughts?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The starter fertilizer would probably do more for the lawn. And its cheaper--by that I mean--its a lot less labor to apply. You can do 2000 sqft per minute.

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely add starter if your seeding. Huge benefit
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Do your soil tests require lime applications?

5. MisterBreeze

MisterBreeze LawnSite Member

No, its just a package deal (marketing) that people seem to go for. Can't do soil test on the amount of lawns we aerate. These are not full time customers. Just one time aerating jobs in Sept/Oct/ Nov

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, everybody does lime because lime is needed on this particular geological formation... as we go South there is a line of demarkation in which lime is a problem... the soils in Ill. are too alkaline and the stuff is looked at like poison and only a fool would lime...

We don't really need it to grow perfect turf, but it is another gimmick people use to imagine a more beautiful lawn... So it's workable,,, but I'd try to upsell to a real ammendment such as a compost topdressing...
    that is where, aerating, has it greatest purpose...

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

So you're selling them something they quite possibly don't need?

What would you say if your doctor sold you antibiotics, because you might need it?

What if the turf already has a high pH, you just made the problem worse?

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Based on that, I assume you are using the cheapest lime you can get a hold of. Do you know the difference between dolomitic and calcitic limestone and which one may be beneficial considering your soil type?

9. Brett Thomas

Brett Thomas LawnSite Member

Which would would u recommend in clay/ slatey soils with ph ranging from 5 to 6.5 ? I normally use the dolomitic for the mg nutrients .

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  10. GaryCinChicago

GaryCinChicago LawnSite Member

For adjusting pH and ... adding the extra P from the starter without a soil test also makes me scratch my head.