1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fall already? How do you feel about it?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by KG26, Oct 10, 2013.

1. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

I see the more elaborate your set up, get compensated for it correct. I just picked up a bagger unit for my mower, tomorrow I will be going to get gator blades I believe adding these two tools to the line up will help a great deal. I have a big yard I'm going to try it out on.

2. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

no. Not really
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

Good point. I'm still mowing some lawns for what my Dad did in the early nineties. It's getting better but its a slow process.

4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

This absolutely works. I do it all the time when I don't want to use my dump truck.

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

One can not bill 8 hours to do a 4 hour job because you do not have the right equipment.

Because a 60" mower can do 2 acre in 1 hour does not mean the job is worth 4 hours because you use a 20' pusher.

6. 32vld

No the both of you only hit your thumb with the hammer.

You are right to charge what you charge because you have the expenses that must be covered. The person you quoted does not have your expensive leaf clean up equipment and can not match your productivity.

7. 32vld

Where I am a lawn can still need mowing till the last week of October. The few leaves that fall down will be mulched with no problem. You will see some leaf bits when you are done. Thing is when you come back next week they will not be visible.

Then starting the first week in November when the leaves fall to heavy to just mulch I start weekly leaf clean ups. And my customers do not want to see a lawn of mulched leaves either.

Then best to use a mower with bagger and or a lawn vacuum system.

8. Mike NY

Mike NY LawnSite Member
    from NY.

And I'll bet you just give them the additional service free of charge in November even though it requires more resources, because you are a nice guy, or a fool!
    Im surely not going to give away free labor and machine time. That is the quickest way to go out of business.

9. 32vld

I never said to not charge. Never said to work for free.

I did say because one does not have the right equipment one can not charge 4 hours for a job that will take someone with the right equipment 1 hour.

Example a $100 job is not a $400 job because ones equipment is not up to the task. You need the work. You have the time. You take the job and save till you get the right equipment. Or you pass on it.

Would you pay for the extra time to have tires installed when instead of the shop using a lift, tire machine, impact gun they did not have them so they used a lug wrench, floor jack lifting one wheel at a time, no tire machine to break the bead, and removed the old tire from the wheel and installed the new tire on the wheel by hand using tire irons?