Fall Annual Plants and Watering BAN!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnJohn, Sep 25, 2007.

1. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey guys!

Here in Metro Atlanta (including some surrounding counties), a watering ban has been imposed.

In the next week or so I'm scheduled to begin several annual plant installation on my commercial and residential properties, however they can not water.

My question for those of you who have been or are going through this simular situation, what are you doing or have done?

Thanks.

LJ

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you can either plant them and watch them die....in which case your clinets will call and say "hey bone head you planted flowers that need water when we are in water restrictions, I'm not paying for em"

explain the situation to your clients and let them decide what they want to do,
    Hold off on installing them until you get some rain....
    If prepaid in contract, refund to your clients and tell them you don't want to install plants that are going to cook after a week with out water...
    If prepaid in contract...rather than refund the money find something else to do on the property with that money so you don't loose the income. Ie install a hardscape...or sweep the parking lot, ect...

Be proactive with your clients...and investigate fully how the water restrictions would affect your clients. Ie can only water on certain days, or certain time or only by hand, ect...The more you know the better you educate them, and the better you look....

3. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

http://www.atlantawatershed.org/WaterRestrictions.htm

Assuming this is the most current information, you have options:

30 day grace period for new installations

Watering allowed on weekends,,,deep water and 4" mulch

drought tolerant selections

It's do-able, just ask the LCO's from Arizona and California,
    standard operating procedure out there!

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I would explain the situation upfront to the client. Say, "hey we've got a water ban in effect, if I plant now, you can't water and the plants will die. and that this situation is not covered by our warranty."

Let them decide how to procede.

If they ask for your advice, tell them we can wait until the restriction is lifted, or do some research and see if in fact there are any allowances for watering--drip irrigation, or soaker hoses, etc.

While you could plant drought tolerant plants, they still need water while they establish themselves.

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

THat is way outted date. We have a total water ban in 3 of the 4 counties we service, and one with only one day a week to water and thats been in effect just about all summer. Cobb Co. has a complete water ban on everything. I have been told not to plant anything....Unless a you are on site while its watering, the homeowner is going to get fined no if and or buts. I have a few comm. and residential site we will be planting at and will water, but all and all I will not be doing any advertising for fall planting just because of the risk.....I hate to lose the huge chunk of income, but would rather keep a happy customer instead of running them off. I have already let all my accounts know that flower planting will be at their own risk and there will be NO warranty.....

6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I think I'm going to side with not planting anything this fall and just cover the beds with pinestraw or pine bark.

It's gonna suck, but it is what it is.

LJ

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What about watering from a tanker?

8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

a tanker is exactly what I was thinking. Then I saw your comment about getting fined unless you are on site...

Can you water, and just not the property owner?

Either way, I think I would start looking for alternative income for this fall.

9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Unfortunately, I can't dedicate a truck/tank for it and the number of installs don't justify it.............yet.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

have you though about renting a small truck and a 500 gallon tank and start charging for watering services? provided of course that you have the manpower