1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scarlawnturf, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Scarlawnturf

Scarlawnturf LawnSite Member

As I am recently licensed, I ask the following question. Being new at this, I am currently a granular spreader, backpack sprayer operation. With that in mind, for fertilizer and weed control this fall should I rely on a weed and feed application or granular fert and backpack spray broadleaf weeds? My properties are any where from 1/4 acre to 1 acre in size. Appreciate any advice.
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I would backpack spray the weeds. This is your most effective time to control broadleaf weeds in a lawn. Why waste the opportunity by using a "granular weed and feed". I have never seen a dry product that meets the standards of professional care.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Tscape is exactly right--
    However--if you plan to spot spray--you will not do an adequate job. You just cannnot see all the small weeds that you would kill if you blanket sprayed. Also i would apply a premium weed control like Lesco Eliminate--at the maximum allowed rate. As a small company you cannot afford weeds or any kind of customer dissatisfaction.
  4. Tscape

Yes, working with the equipment you have I would plan to do a blanket spray on all of your lawns. Try using a blue dye to ensure even overlap. When I used a backpack on greens, I had a 3 nozzle boom set up. You can build your own out of stuff you can buy at TSC or your ag equipment store. Like I said, this is your time to control weeds. Do it right.
  5. Scarlawnturf

Scarlawnturf LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. This was just what I was looking for.
  6. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

U of MD offers an online turfgrass management and a pesticide course that provides just about all the info you need. Might want to look into that.
  7. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

where do you get the dyes? thats a good idea not to spray twice
  8. Tscape

Almost any place that sells ag chemicals sells a blue dye. Blazon is one name I have off the top of my head. They look expensive, but a little goes a loooooooong way!