1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fall clean up. A whole neighborhood

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by TPnTX, Dec 2, 2008.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Blow beds out. Mow everything in one direction to the street. Use your mower or a leaf plow to put into piles. You can mow over the piles with your mower to make them smaller if you want. Than just tarp them or rent a loader.

2. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

You definately need to invest in some more equipment and the thing that would help you the most is a leaf loader, You have 400 houses to cover the cost of the machine, it should be no problem......You'll pay for the loader in a day and then you have an extra piece of equipment thats paid for that you can use to make some money!

You won't be able to get them done in a timely manner without a loader, esp since I'm assuming you have many other accounts that will need cleanups as well....like someone else said, if you don;t have a dump/dumptrailer you need to buy one along with the loader

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I dont get it. 400 homes even small should buy you a decent loader and still leave some money in your pocket. The cost of labor will far outweigh the cost of a loader. Get in get it done and get back to your regular clients. I have got to ask. What are you getting for this HOA?

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

if you chop the pleves before blowing them to the street you could fit a ton more in your trailer

5. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, you need a leaf loader. Bottom line.

6. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i say leaf loader too, no other way, and that trailer with the sides and a mesh net over top, ideal would be a dump truck with a loader on the back

blow everything into piles like the big boys do it and its a simple process, 2 backpacks to get it done and your leaf loader

7. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

+1 for the the leaf vac loader ...... 400 homes is a lot, that should be at least 30 to 40 grand worth of work, good luck

8. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

its a lot more than that.

heres a better pic showing the average yard

hoa.jpg

9. TPnTX

the company thats been going it bagged them.

10. TPnTX

I've checked everywhere and no one rents loaders around here.

You never them anywhere either. I don't think I've ever seen anybody with one. I know several LCO owners a couple quite big. They don't have one, never have.

The two big dealers around here don't carry them or know anything about them really.

I've never seen one for sale. I think they are rare around here.

We just don't have the number or types of trees like you do elsewhere.

This will definately be the only job I would use one on at this time. My biggest "leaf" customer is on about 1.5 acres and has some pretty bigs trees. I just mulch it down.

If I could find one to rent I'd do it.