Fall Clean Up- Hate or Tolerate?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Landscape89, Nov 15, 2007.

?

Fall Clean Up- Hate or Tolerate?

1. HATE leaves, no matter how much $ I can make!!!

23.2%
  2. They are a PITA but I tolerate it.

76.8%
  1. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I like leaf jobs and I especially like the money. I make more in November and December than during June-October combined. Everybody wants their yard to look good for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have to turn people away. It's just very hard on the equipment, especially when the leaves are damp like they have been here lately.

2. sulcl

sulcl LawnSite Member

Im in the middle. I dont like doing a clean or trying to clean up when the leaves are falling on your head. But, you have to fight the battles to win the war.On the other as stated before it gives you something else to do besides mowing grass all the time. If you have the right equipment everything runs smoothly.

3. jaypauldini

jaypauldini LawnSite Member

i like leaves, just when the grass has finally stopped growing, the leaves start to fall, and so work continues for at least six weeks, and i rake them up by hand, as as soon as i have raked the entire lawn, more have fallen for next weeks raking.
    i think of the leaves as tiny denominations of money and the more i rake up the more i get paid.
    i know it can be irritating and soul destroying trying to rake up leaves when it is windy, as it is always windy when you are raking up leaves.
    but at least it extends the working season all the way up to christmas. then when you come back in the new year, its time to spread compost. then digging and planting, then back on the mowers.
    yes in my eyes leaves are the patron saints of gardeners

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  4. lawnenvy

lawnenvy LawnSite Member

It's just part of the seasonal work you gotta do. All of my clients are year round customers. So whatever needs to get done to make their yard look great is what I've got to do to keep them happy. I don't like having to do a lot of the seasonal work, but in the end, the customer is always happy that everything is always taken care of for them.

5. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

Where is "I LOVE it!!!!", 'cause thats me!!! :D

6. bigjimmy

bigjimmy LawnSite Member

leaves,leaves everywhere! got about 110 acres of golf course here. it don't take alot of leaves to lose a ball lol

pine needle are the worse though, and the spiky balls that fall from gum trees.
    went on many a call where a riding mower deck vibrated like crazy only to dig one of those little balls out of the groove of a deck pulley.

7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

its good money so i like them!

8. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had a Walker Mower like RedMax Man then I would love them, but as of right now, all I have is a Br600, rakes and a tarp. When I get bigger though I'm sure I'll like them

9. qualitylawnpro

qualitylawnpro LawnSite Senior Member

I hate them probably the hardest thing on your equipment!!!