fall clean up pricing question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by shade tree landscaping, Oct 27, 2007.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys chrage your hourly ammount per man? Meaning $45an hour per person, 2 guys $90 an hour and so on. Do you let the cutomer know how much per hour they are being charged, or just give them an estimate and not let them know about the hourly charge? thanks in advance guys!

2. SouthShoreLandscape

SouthShoreLandscape LawnSite Member

Definitely DO NOT tell anyone about your hourly charge!
    People FREAK OUT!
    Im NOT paying 90$ an hour.
    You charge them how many hours you think its gonna be.
    90 an hour is too much anyhows working with what you have there, I see your using a hownowner backpack, you dont have a leafloader, a redmax 8001, nothing to speed up your process.
    Just some rakes and a hownowner backpack with wet leaves your gonna piss people off charging 90 an hour, your not gonna bag many jobs.
    Charge by the half day.
    Judging by your equipment, Id say the most your gonna get with 2 people is 300 a half day, Thats the most.
    Thats my opinion.

3. shade tree landscaping

If I can line up enogugh jobs then I'm gonna invest in a Redmax7001. Def don't let them know the hourly charge then? Do you charge a flat hourly rate, or charge per person?

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Here is what I do. I know in my head that I want $60 per hour for me, and $45 for the helper. So I want to charge $105/hr. When they call, I tell the customer I have a minimum charge of $300. When I arrive to do the estimate, I tell the customer that it is impossible to give a set price, so I give them a range...like $350 to 450 based on my guess that it would take 3.5 to 4.5 hrs. If they insist on a set price, I just say ok, it will be $450. Then they say that they want the range!

BTW, I use a backpack, a walkbehind blower, tarps/rakes, and a ZTR. I do not haul away.

5. SouthShoreLandscape

No, I basically charge by the looks of the job, the feel of the customer.
    On 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots the very most youll get on 1/2 acre with alot of trees is 600.
    1/4 acre with mild trees 2-350, those are estimates.
    Get yourself a redmax 8001, trust me, they are not heavy like some say, but with a homeowner model, get yourself 1 kickass blower.
    www.texasmowerparts.com , get the number off that site, call travis, and hell ship one to you with the warranty papers all filled out and mailed in for 520.
    no tax no shipping.
    youll get it in 3 days most.
    trust me, itll pay for itself.
    I was using a home depot echo backpack, which was ok, but now...omg.
    listen if you like landscaping in a 74 vega, thats fine, but its much better in a 2007 f-450 dump bed.
    thats the comparison I make in the 2 blowers.
    A WHOLE WORLD APART!
    the 8001 moves leaves like paper, even wet ones.
    Youll clear driveways without moving from 1 spot.
    yes it eats alot of mix, but hey, you gotta pay to play.

6. SouthShoreLandscape

I dont know where you get 105 an hour, I bet you dont do alot of jobs, especially since you dont haul it away.
    If I didnt haul, I would have done no work this spring.
    105 an hour?
    Thats nuts.
    a helper is 10 an hour, and you charge the customer 45?
    wow thats great, you should be a millionaire in 3 years with that plan.

7. shade tree landscaping

thanks for the tips SOUTH SHORE...whats the real difference between the Redmax 7001 and the 8001?

8. SouthShoreLandscape

The 8001 is a little bigger, more comfortable. something like 1.9 lbs heavier, nothing youd notice.
    Ok heres the difference.
    about 19 cc's of power from what i remember.
    or 16?
    anyways, the 8001 moves piles much better.
    if your only using a blower to blow off walks and driveways, use the 7001.
    If your using it as your only blower, id go with the 8001, which I do and I did.
    I sold my two echo's.
    The 8001 will do your driveways, blow wet grass off walks easy, as well as moves large piles of leaves, wet too.
    If you dont own a decent ground blower, 9 hp or more, get an 8001, its a cheaper alternative to having to buy both a ground blower and a 7001, or cheaper model.
    Good luck

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

no it is not nuts, what is nuts is he charges less per man hour for his helper and that is ********. I am in ma. to and his labor rate is not unusual what is unusual is chargeing 60 for him and LESS for the other guy.

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

It is not nuts in my opinion. The $60 covers me and all the equipment. The 45 is for a 2nd man.

I am not twice as productive with two, since I have only 1 WB blower and 1 ZTR, so I think it is fair to the customer. If I work alone, I can do 2 small cleanups in a day. With the helper I can do 3.

But thanks for the ******** comment. You are a real gentleman. Keep your rude comments to yourself. And learn to spell, try "charging". I am in MA, "too". Who is a ******?