1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall Clean Up Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Landscape89, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I have 6-9 fall clean ups to get done in the next 5 days. It seems like so much work with little time to work with. I say this because I checked the 10 day forecast and they said its gonna get really cold and possibly snowy here next week. Every year when I do clean up, I am very particular as to every leaf has to be off the lawn before we mow. This year, to speed things up, I think I am gonna just get the heavy leaves and then mow over the rest of the stuff to suck em up even if it means going over the area twice. The equipment I have to work with:

21" John Deere Mower
    8 HP Little Wonder Blower
    2 Redmax BP's
    Rakes, Tarps, Barrels

Is this a good idea and time saver? Any advice for the beds too would be great! Thanks!
  2. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I think its a waste of time to get every single leaf off the lawns before mowing, we always get most of the leaves off and then mow the lawn to suck up the rest and give it the finished look, works very effeciently for us, however we have larger mowers...but i would still do the same thing
  3. bustin88

bustin88 LawnSite Member
    from NW NJ

We are in the same boat with the cold, windy, rainy, and snowy weather... We try and get all the heavy stuff up and whatever is left over - we hit with the lazers... I am very picky on what it looks like in the end, but if I wait for every leaf to fall to clean it up I would most likely be there until January with rake in hand and blower on back in 2 feet of snow... good luck!
  4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I try to get as many leaves on the lawn as possible then suck them up with the Walker.
  5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we tried to suck up the leaves with the ultra vac. didnt work to well. its also been raining so everything is soaked. today we finally got to use our load handler, just blew everything into a pile at the curb and shoveled it into the truck. then went over the lawn to suck up anything that was left and give it 1 last cut for the season.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking you are working on relatively small lawns with a 21 Sean. Nothing wrong with that but it will slow you down. Can you convert the mower to mulch and chop the leaves up? Rakes tarps and barrels are slow going but its possible. I will just say that you probably can be 50 to 75% faster than you currently are but you don't have a large WB or Z wiich really limits you. Don't focus on perfection, just do the best you can and run to the next one.
    Hopefully you are getting paid well for your effort. Its amazing how leaf season can make open your eyes to just how much is involved on a commercial basis. Take care.
  7. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

9 Clean ups to do in 4 days. Can you say Stressed?! :dizzy:
  8. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

depending on how many guys youve got....blow all of course, hop on the mower, mulch it once, then suck it up....if there are other people get them to pick a spot and start tarping it.no matter how little an area they can do by the time you get there, thats less in your bagger, thats more time suckin up other stuff that needs it
  9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats it I have about 15-20 left to complete, about 10 of which I havn't even been too once, but the weather has reallly been in the pits. Normally we hit the accounts everyother week, that didn't work so good, so looks like we'll easily be working up til x-mas if the snow holds out...the cold doesn't mean a thing.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I never do a perfectly spotless clean up the first time, get most of them, plan on coming back to finish it up one last time.

It's right about where I've gotten up like 98% of them or what have you, not sure how to describe it but it's at that point where it would literally take twice as long to get every single last leaf up, right about there is where I cut things short. Most of them are out of the way, the yard looks green in comparison, that's it.

Look up in the trees, now if they are all down fine, but otherwise don't kill yourself.