Fall Clean up with WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CTmower, Jul 18, 2008.

1. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I've been doing fall clean ups for years working for another company and have been somewhat spoiled being able to the a Hustler with vac system and dump box. This will be my first year doing them as part of my own business and im just wondering if my 61" Ferris WB with grass gobbler will do the job.. I know theres no vaccum with my mower but will it still throw most of the leaves in the gobbler or will it just dice them up and leave half on the ground. Any input would be appreciated

2. polplow2000

polplow2000 LawnSite Member

I grind up leaves with my hydro walk behind. Only time it wont work well is if it is very wet after a rainfall.

3. CTmower

from CT

so you grind them up and use a gobbler or grass catcher attached??? Im just wondering if i do it this way if i should mow it once or twice to shred them up or just use the catcher from the beginning and get whatever i can

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a buddy with a pair of 61" Ferris riders. He has the mulching kits. He drives over leaves and mulches them into the ground and you can't see any of it. It's pretty cool to see 12" of maple leaves all disappear... w/o any of it being taken off...

5. SMALLTIME22

SMALLTIME22 LawnSite Member

You're In Ct Which Must Be Similar To Ohio In The Fall - Lots Of Leaves. I Have A 48 And A 34 W/b. In The Fall I Run Mulch Blades On The 48 And Hi-lifts On The 34. Get 2 Guys Going: 1 1st On The 48 Ahead Of The Guy On The 34 So The 34 Never Catches Up. This Reduces The Leaves For The Second Mower Since The W/b's Have Such Small Catchers It Works Well. Then On The Bigger Commercials I Just Tarp 'em Or Mulch If I Can Since My Commercials Either Have No Trees Or Leaf Pickup Isnt That Important.

This Obviously Only Works W/ 2 W/b's.

Wet Leaves: Tarp The Majority, Tarp The Rest

6. SMALLTIME22

Correction - Wet Leaves: Tarp The Majority, Mulch The Rest
    Unless Customer Wants The Lawn Completely Clear

7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

well both my walks have high lifts and they just suck up leaves whole fill the catchers up so fast its a pain. now grass i can pack in there all day. but leaves one lap its full. so i blow them off then cut

8. CTmower

from CT

This is why im kind of debating whether to buy a hustler strickly for fall clean ups... I make a ton more money doing cleanups then i do weekly mowings. I think in the long run it will be worth it saving me both time, money, and energy!!

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

if you can get a decent rider and bagger with either a vac or an off deck impellar then get it if u can justify the cost

10. SMALLTIME22

I Agree - I Think If I Bought A Ztr Tomorrow It Would Pay For Itself By December. Its Like An Extra Employee When Compared To Running W/b's Only. Hustler Ztrs Seem To Make Sense On Paper But I Havent Used One. Look Into Gravely 148xdz Or 152xdz - It I Can I Will.
    Until Then Just Blow What U Can **assuming U Have A Place To Blow Them**
    Or As A Quick Fix Pick Up A Smaller Used W/b And Hold On To It As Back Up And For Gates
    But There Is Such A Huge Upside To The Midsize Ztrs