Fall Clean Up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GriffinLawnService, Aug 24, 2006.

1. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I was wondering what everyone used to do pick up leaves. Should I buy a bagging kit for my mower. What all equipment is needed for leaf removal?

I know that I cant do it the old fashion way and rake becuase that would take me forever and I wouldnt get it done....

I know that there are similar posts to this I was just looking for some answers to this couldnt find them in the other posts though...

Thanks in advance

2. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I use a handheld for in the bushes and beds. 2 backpacks for small areas and the my giant-vacs for the big areas.

3. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

a backpack blower, rake, tarps, snow shovel....thats how i do it currently, with aspirations to buy vac sometime down the line

4. Dr Green

Dr Green LawnSite Member

I am going to tell you the fastest way 2 men can do leaves IMO.

I realize you might not have all the things you need here, but you get the idea:

2 men each wearing backpacks and even a handheld blower in the other hand, if your forearm can take the abuse. It burns, but does save time.

They both work together one behind the other working right to left along the area to be blown. it is incredibly fast . The man behind provides that extra push and directs air in certain spots to allow the front man to keep moving without leaves and debris blowing back. With a handheld in the other hand one man can effectively work both sides of a bush underneath and can also direct a stream of air where he wants . When 2 men have 4 streams of air working side by side, it moves quick. Real quick

Once the beds are emptied 2 men each grab a walk behind blower. The bigger the better. I used 2 little wonder 13 hp in this example. The 2 work together , again with 2 streams of air to move the leaves to the desired location. Woods, to a leaf loader, curbside, whereever......

You just have to move the Bulk! Dont chase a couple leaves that blew back

When the majority of the leaves are moved, one man jumps on a riding mower and begins to cut and clean the lawn of the few scattered leaves. The other finishes the blowing and starts up the leaf vac provided you own one. If times correct, the mower ends up finished near the Vac guy . they suck up the mower clippings etc and go to the next one.

The point is this: Work together.Use as many tools or resources available to you to accomplish this. It accomplishes much more than one man raking beds out while another is in the back yard with a blower chasing all the leaves that he keep sblowing behind him by working by himself in the beds.

Ive seen it work, and have made lotts of money doing it in the past

5. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I agree with Dr Green. I tell my employees to stay side by side with me and walk in unison left and right, back and forth. Working away from each other in separate areas of the cleanup may seem like the same but it sure seems to go better with someone blowing right next to you. It is like two people carrying a heavy tarp as oppossed to each person carrying a tarp.

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of blowers, lazer's w peco quik vac's 16hp truck loaders on 16ft. dump trailers. we are doing 135 FCUs' a season however. all large residential and commercial properties.

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

why not just blow them onto the lawn and mulch them?

8. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

where is the guy with the leaf plow?? I think that should be very fast in open areas.

9. sgthigg

sgthigg LawnSite Member
    from S MS

How about using a billy goat yard vac?

10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member