1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

fall clean up

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by fatguy28, Nov 15, 2012.

1. fatguy28

fatguy28 LawnSite Member

what do you do and what works best for you. i was thinking of buying one of those yard vac's. or a yard blower with a truck loader. what works best for you

2. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Probably depends on your volume. Most of my fall cleanups just require backpack blowing and pickup. Also how you dispose of them. Our city has trucks that take debris for several weeks, but only on Sat. from 8 am - noon. I do use tarps a lot also. But I understand the need for heavier equipment. I had one job this fall that took 9 hours!!

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the job, but I use back blowers and the rear bagger on my mower mostly. I have a leaf loader but don't have much use for it since I only haul leaves from a handfull of accounts. I fire up the 10HP wheel blower on occasion too.

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I like running over them once with the mower first, the resulting pile is a lot smaller and fits easier in most places.

5. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD LawnSite Senior Member

Fall cleanup equipment that we use 4 backpacks, little wonder 13hp, Track vac truck loader. Mix of cleanups, lose some in woods others suck up and haul out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

We use just about everything. 6 Shindy 802 bp blowers get everything out from tight areas. We have a big 16hp self propelled blower and a leaf plow mounted to the front of a ztr. They move large quantities. The bagging mower is used for final mow and cleanup. Finally, we use the 35 hp truck vac with to load 2 dump trucks with 14cy boxes. I have a crew of 5 guys. Two primarily run the leaf vac with the two dump trucks. The remaining 3 of us do the bulk of the lawn cleanups and pushing the leaves to the street. We have a great setup and system that works very well. Within 2 years, I will have 2 crews cleaning yards and pushing leaves to the curb so the vac guys are busy all month only sucking leaves. I hate it when the expensive truck vac is sitting because they caught up to us.

7. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

2 or 3 backpacks, a 9hp little wonder wheeled blower, leaf plow on the front of the ztr for when the pile gets 3' high and the little wonder starts to slow down then they either go to the curb for the me or the town to suck up or the woods, also a bagger system for the mower is essential without one clean ups take a lot longer.

8. elbow300

elbow300 LawnSite Member

We run Red Max 8500 abd Stihl 600 blowers to get the structures blown out and the piles started. I have 3' x 6" leaf plows made from 3/4 treated plywood with aluminum curved side pieces so the pile wont slide off the sides. We push all the leaves to the closest pavement and vac into the dump truck. Lesco loader with 10" hose and 16 vanguard. We run a crew of 3 or 4 as a prep crew getting leaves in place to be loaded, and the vac truck crew chases and makes stops along the way for clients that clean their own leaves and put them on the curb for us to collect. We are getting to the point the vac truck can't keep up. We are a day behind the prep crew on collections now. I am considering another skid mount loader for the other truck, or possibly getting a larger trailer mounted unit to speed up the process. Any thoughts?

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Using a Kaw backpack blower I realized my left hand was completely unused. For kicks, I fired up the bg 85 for lefty. Oh my god! Whooo hoo! I can move a wall of leaves like nothing else. Dry leaves, wet leaves, mud from sidewalks, no problem. The most stubborn stuck on debris gets "excited" by one blower, then blasted with a crosswind.

No fooling though, it will wear you out. Takes a bit to get coordinated using two blowers effectively. Burns fuel quite rapidly, but its way faster! I'm looking to buy a leaf loader for next year (if budget allows).
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

2 backpacks at the same time works even better, or a backpack and a wheel blower at the same time. I have even used 2 backpacks and a wheel blower at the same time before.