1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall Clean Up?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rescuedlawn, Nov 4, 2013.

1. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I am new and this is my first year doing this as a business. I hear everyone talking about fall clean up. What is so special about fall/spring clean up besides the leaves? Exactly what is cleaned up and whats the good time frame to do so. I need to pick up some more business and any advice will be appreciated.

I don't know about in va but here in mass our fall clean up includes.
    Gutter clean out
    Bed areas blow out
    Lawn areas blow out
    Finish mow of all lawn areas
    Removal and proper disposal of all debris collected.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

Is this all done after all leaves have fallen?
    Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

My cleanups include cleaning leaves out of all flower beds all around the house and lawn, removing all leaves from the lawn an a final mowing. I try to do each property 2 times. Once in the beginning of November and one final cleanup after all the leaves have fallen. There are some smaller cleanups that I just do once after everything has fallen
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Fall clean up varies, a lot, regionally. Here its the same as mowing (since we collect clippings anyhow) but instead of trimming and edging we blow out landscape beds and such. And we obviously bill a lil extra for the extra material to haul off.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Blow out the beds and suck up the leaves and haul em off. That's usually about it unless people want gutters cleaned
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. TwoGuyswithMowers

TwoGuyswithMowers LawnSite Member

I've been wondering about this as well. I've been offering to mulch the leaves, but now I wonder if bagging would be better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

We don't start until they are all down.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. RichardC

RichardC LawnSite Member
    from NH

Cleanups for me include just about anything in the yard that the customer needs help with before winter hits.. Leaf blowing/removal, sticks and branches, removing dead annuals from the gardens, and cutting back any perennials. I've even used my trailer to help someone clean out the garage and get it to the dump before.. i still charge for the work, and scored some stuff that i could use/sell as well.

As far as when to start, it depends on the customer. Ive got a few that just want me to show up once and get it all done, so i have to wait until all the leaves drop. Then there's customers who dont want a single leaf on their lawn, so i go there every week to keep it clean, until everything is done dropping.
  10. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally believe that mulching the leave is better for the lawn..it helps return nutrients to the soil.

As soon as the leaves start falling, I start blowing out the beds and mulching it into the lawn.

Clean-up services are a' la carte.

Here are some of the services I offer:

Blowing and mulching (preferred method) or blowing and hauling off
    Pressure wash house
    Gutter cleaning
    Pressure wash decks & fences
    Stain & seal decks & fences
    Repair masonry and seal cracks in driveways and walkways to help prevent water from entering and freezing during winter which can cause damage
    pruning & trimming, cutting back perennials, removing annuals
    Rye grass seeding
    Install extra mulch around plants in beds for the winter