Fall Clean Ups and Property Lines

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnman24949, Nov 3, 2011.

1. lawnman24949

lawnman24949 LawnSite Member

I just wanted to see how we handle property lines with fall clean ups. For me when there are leaves in the neighbors yard from a tree that overlaps the property a few feet I will blow the leaves from the neighbors yard because it is only a few feet and these are really the customers leafs. Also I do not do this if the neighbors yard is covered in leaves. I only do the blowing of the extra few feet when the neighbors yard has no trees in them because i know they are not their leaves. Just wondering if any of you did this.

2. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Whether it's leaves, the grass, the hedges, etc, I always go onto the neighbor's property a minimum of 5ft and take care of it. I don't get picky with the exact property line.

Doug

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same, espeically if I have to go on their property to blow out the hedges on my customer's property or something. I figure they're not likely to complain that I'm "trespassing" if I help clean up their lawn while I'm at it.

The thing is that I don't always know where the property line is because my customer doesn't even know. It amazes me how many people don't know where their property lines are.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I understand what you are saying, and why you say you do it, so this isn't meant as a slam on you for trying to do a good job, but.......

If my neighbor hired a LCO to do their yard, and the guy came on to my property even one foot past the line, I'd be out there in his face quick, fast and in a hurry. I am very fussy about my property, and I don't want some jackwagon doing anything to it I didn't authorize them to do, especially to any trees or hedges etc.

One of my neighbors down the road I used to cut for has an LCO now who goes all over the place when he's anywhere near the property line if it makes it easier for him at the moment, and the line is marked. It doesn't appear to matter to him where he goes or what he does when he's near the line. That's no way to do business IMO. Fortunately for him, the people who own the place that he goes over onto are extremely lazy about doing any lawn maintainence, so they are probably glad to get something (sometimes) for nothing.

To the OP, I don't go onto anyone's property without their permission, even if it's to do the right thing. If they say they are OK with it, then yea, I do what you do, but I always try to find out where the line is before hand no matter what I'm doing for someone.

5. Darryl G

Oooh, you're one of them people! Well if you're gonna freak out cuz I went on your property 2 feet to blow out the barberry hedge that's on the property line, we're gonna have to get the cops out there, lol. Would you rather I blow it all onto your property? :laugh:

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yea, I'm one of them:laugh:

If you had, (and if IIRC you have, to at least some extent) been through what I have with former neighbors over trying to take part of you property, you'd get PO'd too. I don't have a problem with guys blowing their leaves back off of my yard, but I for sure do if they start trimming or blowing the bushes that are mine and on or near the line, or are mowing over it.:nono: If they want to come around and blow my neighbors bush leaves back into their yard, I have no truck with that. Fortunately I don't have that problem where I live right at the moment, at least not unless a neighbor dies and someone new moves in. Mainly though, I was responding the guy who mentioned going 5' past the line to do what he thought need doing. I'm not down with that for the reasons stated above, even if it is for the right reason.

I was raised to respect other peoples property and rights to it, no matter what, and I have never strayed from that.

Sorry if I offend anyone about this. I admit to being touchy about this issue. I know most everyone on here are just hard working people trying to do their best work. That's what makes America great.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. Darryl G

Don't get me started about neighbors...I have a dozen next door neighbors! I've got 3 significant slope/fill encroachments on my property, 3 neighbors who throw their yard wastes over the stone wall onto my property, and one who actually put a gate in his fence so he can dump stuff down the slope onto my property. A guy who has a right-of-way across my back acreage attacked me and my Beagle with his single stage snowblower chucking snow and gravel at us while on MY property last winter because he didn't like how I plowed MY driveway beyond where his splits off (I leave a little snow berm there that I can drive through but would deter others). He and his wife insist that I have no business being down there....mind you it's MY property, they just have a right-of-way across it. So yeah, I understand. I can be a bit touchy about my property too.

8. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

That's a shame you're so jaded. I was raised to not only respect neighbors but to also help them out. As neighbors we take care of each other.... no one keeps score, and no one is sure going to get in my face because I cut 5 ft on their lawn or trimmed a hedge for them.

To those who have neighbors you dont like, you end up spending more time and energy hating the person rather than just go knock on their door one day and make peace. It doesn't make sense. I don't need drama in my life. Go take a beer over and make peace.

Doug
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I stop at the property line......possession is 9/10 of the law......those leaves on their property are not my problem. No doubt I am cleaning up their leaves on my customers lawn....

Also if I am cleaning the mess on their yard for free....why would they hire me and pay me to do it....

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

oh god your one of them.......whos the jackwagon.....?.....