Fall clean ups, fast.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jtrice11, Oct 25, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

This may not be the right forum but I'm feeling so good about it, I thought I'd post. First year in business, kind of spent last summer observing other outfits. I was a little worried about fall clean ups around here. Lots of neighborhoods with many mature trees. I knew the work would be there but didn't know if I could do it fast enough to make any profit. Well, got my first big job yesterday, 1 acre, the whole property was leaves ankle deep. Knee deep in corners etc... Took the guys last year around 5 hours. Our crew got it picked clean it 2 hours! blowers, 60" toro w/ vaccum system, billy goat leaf loader, 7X12 dump trailer built up. I was proud....and relieved. I think we can handle most jobs now.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

3. jtrice11

I appreciate the input, I'll keep it in mind. I'm starting full bore tomorrow. Would have started today but one of my guys got in an accident this morning. shot the day.

4. MR HYDROSEED

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

just curious, what was the bill on the cleanup?

5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. How exactly did you do the cleanup?

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get someone on a back pack blower.

Have them blow all the leaves away from all obstacles about 1' away in entire lawn.

Start bagging while the other person starts blowing the leaves away from all the bushes around the house.

If it's windy that day, start on the upwind side of the property.

By the time you get all the yard picked up, the leaves from around the bushes around the house will probably be blown out.

If there's not that many leaves, I don't do the house second.

The reason I do around the house second is if you don't, then the leaf piles from blowing out around the house get to be quite large and you're basically pushing piles around.

If the leaf piles get too big, you're going to have to go over the same area 2-3 times anyways, so you might as well get everything up first, then blow out around the house.

When the guy is done blowing with the backpack blower, then he starts sucking up the leaves with the truck loader.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There really aren't too many variations that are more efficient than that.

8. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea. All I need is a mower with a collection system and a leaf loader! Hahah I'm almost there. Good luck with your cleanups sounds like you are really banging them out.

9. jtrice11

$200, we have lots of leaves so were doing his property twice. $200 each time.

10. jtrice11

we utilize blowers, ALOT. blew all the leaves into 3 huge piles. sucked em up with the billy goat mounted to a dump trailer with an enclosed box. Then took the vaccum system over the whole lawn. Weather cooperated with us, no wind.