Fall Clean-ups

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Jimbo, Oct 1, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yea, like climbing a tree is more dangerous than driving a 50hp deisel 72" lawnmower at 13mph. across a rough lawn :dizzy: :dizzy: :confused: :rolleyes:
    Almost everyone climbed trees as kids, everyone lived through it. Alot of people, grown men even, nearly kill themselves sometimes on these mowers. A while back I heard of a guy that was on a Z on a pond bank and went in, was trapped by the levers and drowned.
    Have heard of arborists falling to their death too but my point is that single story houses are probably alot safer than some of the equipment we operate daily. What about the guy that got his long hair or long shirt sucked into the backpack blowers? LOL he came out oK but that had to hurt! And push mowers can be dangerous, on a wet slope or just dry slope, even level ground sometimes.
    We are brave, daring courageous men, are we not? ;) :cool:
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

good point Bush Hog Boy.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

BushHogBoy - It's the insurance companies that dictate the rates and therefore what I do and don't do. I cannot trench, do tree work, plowing or any ladder work at the insurance rates I'm at.

The insurance companies know the injury rates/associated costs and bill accordingly.
  4. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

Fall Clean up,

I just put mine together and sent out around 100 today,

*Leaf Removal
    *Gutter Cleaning
    *Hauling Debris
    *Tree & Shrub trimming
    *Cleaning/Power Washing
    These are just a few things you could do for your fall clean-ups

"we are brave, daring courageous men, are we not" What is up with that statement Bushhog Boy ?

Sometimes when we get older we know what our limitations are...
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is what keeps me and my buddies in business in my other job.
    Try and keep in mind that you may feel 10 feet tall, have a yard of junk, enough hair on your back to weave a rug but the key to life is making it from BushHogBoy to BushHogMAN!

No bad intent in my reply. Stay safe.
  6. jmleaver

jmleaver LawnSite Member
    from NH

what is the best way to charge customers? Hourly, per job and do you charge for removal or is that included?
  7. You only wish you knew what that was like, but then again I think that should be 15-20mph not 13mph.

I do hourly when leaves are concerned.

We "do not" do gutters.

However, leaf removal consists of;

Blowing leaves from all beds, drives, walks, corners, etc...

Then vacing them up with the Peco on a ZTR mower.

Then if dumped at the curb, vacing them in the truck and hauling them off.

We do not piickup sticks, or trash (vac gets the trash)

Sticks, twigs, branches etc..are extra. Remember we are doing leaf removal not a "Fall clean up". Even though it is hourly, we don't have the time to pick this junk up or able to haul it off.

This is done from Nov to March, but in spring we do a Spring clean up also that consists of picking up the debris also, but they must have a disposal place for it, cause none will fit on the truck.

That is why we don't pick that junk up.

We also offer Fall mulch, and trimming.

We do not give any kind of a package deal.

This is a "premium" service at a "premium" price.

This year, I might offer leaf mulching if things slow down.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get a set Of Rapters from tobey At coffils. mow Over the leaves Then Bag them. you will see a difference. If you don't Like them i'll buy them Off of You.