Fall Cleanup and the leaves are still in the trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HayBay, Oct 20, 2004.

1. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

We have an elderly Female customer who is Widowed. She called us last week to do a cleanup around her Huge Pine tree only (approx 25 Bags of needles).

The 54" with bagger collected it in less than an hour and some manual raking to finish it off. We were there about 1.5 hour and .5 hours to dump the trailer at our house charging $60. per hour.

We mentioned to the woman that it would be easier on her wallet if she waited a few more weeks so we could do the whole yard and wait for all the needles to fall. No, she wanted it cleaned up right away.

This morning at 8am we get a call from the woman and she says that all the needles have fallen from the tree and she wants us back again.

Jenny heads over to talk with the woman and check out the situation.

Once again Jenny says, why don't you wait. The customer says do you want the job or not.

We have scheduled her in for Thursday.

What do you think?
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

do the work and charge accordingly..........I tend to only question things once.....

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had customers in the past where I was there every 3 days picking up leaves. If the customer calls, you go running. NOW, with that said, I'd make sure that you get a check, or make sure you HAND her an invoice each time you're there, so the customer knows how much she owes you.

Just because she's female and widowed, doesn't mean she doesn't have $10,000,000 in the bank.

I've got a house that I do, an older lady, lives on a run down farm, that you'd think she doesn't have $50 in the bank.

Funny thing is, about 2 years ago, she sold 100 acres to a developer for 1.6 million.
  5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think you have an serious Nascar fan here.

You know each team paints their car after each race to keep it looking its best knowing that when race day rolls around....they got to do it all again. Looking good ain't cheep......take here money and continue the quality of service.

Thats a good problem to have...............later
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually now a days they are using a different car each race :p
  7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

And you have a problem with making more money because??!! :blob3: :help:
  8. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

The customer is always right, especially when they want to pay more.

However, how many times do we say that they are not right when they tell us we didn't do something the way they thought it ought to be done?

Maybe the lady likes to watch!
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is truly nice of you to try and think of the customerÂ’s best interest (money) but if they refuse logic the first time you offer then go ahead. I know it doesnÂ’t sound like the right thing to do but she might be loaded and wants everything to look perfect all of the time.

10. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. Try to get paid each time that you are there.