1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall Cleanup Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by d&rlawncare, Nov 14, 2006.

1. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Got A call today for an estimate on a fall cleanup. My price $975.00. She said...Your crazy I have one in front of me for $155.00!!!!!!

I'll try and get pictures tomarrow. This is at LEAST a 10 hour job for 3-4 people. Just dropping off the leafs at the compost site at $2.00 a yard would run me 150-$200 (no mulching just str8 blow/rake/tarp). All the cleanup guys around here are booked past Nov 30th. I called another local company and asked them if I was crazy and they said my price would be on the lower side. They would be around 1200.00.

I told her that the lawn has been neglected. They have not mowed the Apt complex in over 3 weeks, waited til all the leaves fell down and NOW want just a clean-up. And to think I put a bid in on this property for next year..... :laugh:
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Wow that's crazy!! Almost got to feel sorry the guy that bid that.... cause he has NO IDEA what he's got himself into. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the got a quarter way into the job, and just quit.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

:drinkup: Be glad you didn't get it, now there is one less lowballer out there because he is stuck bringing in 15 an hour. After expenses he may be able to buy a 12 pack.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Either this property manager is lying to you, or she is not very smart.

Any one with an ounce of common sense could see that this would be(according to your description) more costly than 155 bucks to get cleaned up.

And if that was the case, why didn't she just go with the cheapo then?

I've had people complain about my price for various things, and tell me that someone else can do it for XX cheaper. My response to them is "thank you for your interest in my company"...
  5. d&rlawncare

Yes thats 15 an hour if he does it himeself. I patrol that area and will be sure to drive by a few times a day and see who is doing it.

Just like the other post said. the Manager also could be lying as well.

thanks for your feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

she probably has 3 minimum wage workers doing it.
  7. the undergraduate

the undergraduate LawnSite Member

Hey, let us know if the job actually gets finished. $155 for 30-40 man hours is... $5.15-$3.86 per hour. That's below minimum wage, and that's before expenses. Maybe the quote was for $1550 dollars and she misread it?
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

HA that hits me square in the head

Only because I'm doing a landscape "re-do" from a bid I gave last spring ... was around $21K .... they took the lower one at $16k ... they had no bond ...n the owner now has to have 2/3 of the plants re-done so he can get his bond back from the county before they'll let him build his next shopping center

They shorted him plants ....gave him 18 pallets of Bahia NOT St. Aug ....even thou the county doesn't care about the turf ....he paid premium for junk turf

Shorted him bout 15 live Oaks & Palms .... installed 1 gallon not 3 gallon plants

They aren't even around anymore .... so the Owner is SOL ... but he's on one of my pool teams n I've got the job fore the new center ..... Ssooo .... I'ts .. ALL GOOD
  9. d&rlawncare

Testing this out to see if this link works or not....

you have to add the address when the link pops up...2455 aurelius rd holt mi 48842

its the square shape apt's.....SouthWest of the intersection 9 buildings total.

i took picts as well and will post them when I get off work......

southsquare apts.jpg
  10. d&rlawncare

I guess the above picture worked. Its the apts southwest of the intersection. A square parking lot surrounds the 9 buildings with a tan looking pool in the middle. It is totally fenced in (around buildings and outside of parking lots) and goes out to the road. This is the first time I have posted a picture so bare with me please.