1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall Cleanup Equipment, Building a leaf box and Cleanup pics

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by MaloneyLandscaping, Nov 1, 2011.

1. MaloneyLandscaping

MaloneyLandscaping LawnSite Member

and 1 more....

2. FDJ

FDJ LawnSite Member

One question, Why did you choose to mount the vacuum on the truck instead of on the trailer, won't it make more difficult to dump the leaves?

Sorry if I am wrong, But I don't want to see a fellow with a broken back at the end of the season :)
  3. MaloneyLandscaping

Hahah I agree and contemplated this too. My reason is that i am usually a one man crew. Also, I landscape in the city of boston. Streets are narrow and parking spaces are in abundance also house have smaller driveways and are closer together. This way I can unlook the the traier myself and move it by hand a little bit if necessary. also I can back into spots alot closer with just the truck.
  4. FDJ

FDJ LawnSite Member

So you have to "unload" the leaf vacuum alone?
    Good luck with that... You should have gotten a swing arm mount (don't know what they actually call them)
    I used to have an small trailer that I mounted a vacuum on, (think it was 4x6) and would help me taking blowers, rakes and other tools.

Anyways I hope all goes well.
  5. mlavin73

mlavin73 LawnSite Member

You got lucky that you can still get the trailer on. I hate coming home and swapping equipment. My first 2 years I ran a similar setup but the vacuum hung too low to hook my trailer on. I got real tired of lifting the thing on / off by myself. I'm lucky I never hurt myself doing it. Now I'm running a dump trailer with the vacuum mounted on the tongue. I still suffer from not being able to bring my equipment with me. Good luck with it.
  6. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a nice setup.... but man that is a lot of bungie cords... I use Eye hooks to attach the mesh top. It makes it easier to attach it and you dont have to worry about loosing the bungie cords..
  7. FerrisDiesel

FerrisDiesel LawnSite Senior Member

I built a leaf box this year and used mesh for the top. However, I built a frame out of 2x3's for the top of the box and wrapped the mesh over the top of it. I then took some ferring strips laid them on top of the mesh and 2x3's and screwed them in. I then carriage bolted the whole frame to the box. It looks nice, and keeps the extra mesh inside the box.........i will have to take some pics of it for ya!
  8. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

how did you dump your truck??????????
  9. MaloneyLandscaping

Hey Mahoney I had to take the loader off with another guy before or at the dump. Sucks because I always have to rely on someone.
  10. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey sorry if you guys have answered this question before but what kind and where did u guys get the mesh tarps????
    I'm gonna build another box in the next few weeks for our new dump insert.

Not to hijack this thread but will the weight of a leaf box plus leaves make the insert shaky?? Or what should I look out for?
    Lastly do you find that the mesh tarp produces an abundance of dust?

In the past my box was fully enclosed with the exception of 4 vents on the 2 sides... Wasn't too bad
    Posted via Mobile Device