Fall Cleanup FRUSTRATION

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by simsy71, Nov 25, 2002.

1. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I do this part time mostly on weekends and just started out . The past few weekends have had rain in my area and the forcast calls for 4-5 inches of snow on Wed. I was planning on taking advantage of the long weekend to get caught up.

Does this amount seem high,low or average? An acre of land it took me about 4 hrs by myself and the price was $325.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

are you asking about your price? seems high to me, of course not knowing what method u use etc etc etc secondly i think this shuold be in the commercial forum?

3. Raff246

Raff246 LawnSite Member

Yeah, kinda of high, but if you can get it good luck to you. No snow down here, problably just 80 knot winds off the water.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

pardon my paranoia....I hope you are a service provider and not a customer looking for a price check.....it may be a little on the high end but if its thick and a mess it is not an obscene price...this thread reminds me of the other one we've been taling about regarding having a private portion for service providers.....no offense intended...its just that you are so new with veryyy specific info

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

1 acre, 4 man hours = $190.00 to $525.00. Too many variables to give a firm price. Depends on contractor's pace of work, equipment used, degree of difficulty, and most importantly the area of the country you are in. In some areas of the USA, green industry hourly labor rates can be double what they are just 500 miles away.

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

HHMMMMMM ironic first post?:rolleyes:

sorry if its a genuine post, you just seem pretty darn educated, and for that to be post numero uno....... :confused:

7. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Boy give the new guy a break. Price sounds fair to me. Exspecially if the customer was happy wth the work....

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Boy, the guy says under a 100 words and you guys think he's a pro? Damn Lawn Site is good.javascript:smilie(';)')
    wink
    I think that due to the past few months responses most new guys read for a long time before they even consider responding let alone starting a new thread.

9. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your feedback and yes I am new to all of this and that was my first post. The customer was very happy with the work and actually sent me an email saying so and offered me his grass cutting account. Again I am only a one peson crew. The equipment I use for fall cleanups is a BillyGoat vac, a GiantVac push blower and a hand held blower. I have worked in the past helping someone do this and finally decided to go on my own. I will be looking for some mowing equipment this winter. I have to decide on new or used. The people I talk to say stay away from used, you wind up paying more in the long run for repairs. Do you guys agree with this. Thanks Mike

10. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

The trouble with used commercial equipment is...well we all know what we use OUR stuff for....

I would NEVER ever buy something another landscaper ever. No matter what.