Fall cleanup labor question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJK, Sep 18, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking with a contractor and he says he charges 60 dollars per hour for fall clean up, now my question is do you think this is per person or 60 dollars per hour for everyone?

2. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

This site is full of advice. this question has been asked a million times, trust me i was just asking my self. there is a search box that will search in the " just starting in business " I typeing in the key word " FALL " I was loaded with all the info i needed. the search box is alsome.

Shortgrass

3. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont think the search feature would answer his question, but i also dont think you actually read his question.....

MJK going by the assumption you live in michigan not micigan i would have to say......thats a tough one. if he would of said $65 i would of said the whole crew and if he said $55 i wouldve said per man but i dont know im kinda leaning towards whole crew which in my opinion is to low for michigan.

4. MJK

So should we charge $55 per man?

5. terrapro

i am in livingston county, i charge $45perhr if you can get $55 let me know ill follow your lead :laugh:

from what ive seen in the area $45 is the medium, $55+ is high $35 is the low

6. MJK

so is that per person or for everyone there?

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

different market, but my target labor rate on clean ups if i can't mulch for whatever reason is $60 per man hour. i have enough work that if someone balks at the price i can let it go without losing sleep. when i first started, it was more like $45 per man hour.

8. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Well, think about it, if he had a ten man crew and only charged $65 for the whole crew, they would only make $6.50/hr. Who would work for that?

9. terrapro

that is $ per person hour

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The number of people you have on site has nothing to do with the cost.
    You need to know how much it will cost you to produce work. This you know because you did the business plan. when you sell work you figure how long the job will take and plug in the rate that you need.
    Than you do the work, or you and another guy do the work in "about" 1/2 the time---BUT the price stays the same.
    I have also heard guys talk about charging 40 for them and 20 for another guy, (#'s for example only). This makes no sense at all, the only reason to operate a business is to profit off the work of crews, if not, you just work a job. Yes I am sure he said $60 per hour for EACH man hour

I think it is funny that guys that have been on this site only 3 weeks are already crying the "search" answer. I thought that was only the people that had actually answered the same questions 100 times:laugh: