Fall cleanup/ leave removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Potomac Lawns Inc., Jul 15, 2002.

1. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering how everyone esle price there fall cleanup and the type of equipment they use,just trying to do my homework before fall gets here and since it hardly rains anymore i have a little free time.

thanks
    Steve:drinkup:

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

simply blow out the beds, and have an exmark with the ultra vac and you'll be fine, but if you feel the need to mulch before you bag to save on space in your truck just let your shoot get clogged and this will mulch up the leafs and cut down on yopur leaf collection by more than a 1/3.
    always have a rake in your truck just in case
    if you have a helper, have 2 blowers
    don't worry about every leaf until you think that is your last time there
    and last be ready to dump several times a day

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i set in my mind how many hours it will take to do the cleanup, and whether i have to vac the leaves out and use an hourly charge type method. i blow all the leaves out of the beds with a br400 and then use a 9 hp little wonder and my scag with a leaf plow to blow them into the woods or to get them into piles. then i vac them out if i have to.

4. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

I am also new to all this Fall Cleanup stuff too. What are you charging for these clean ups? I hope to tackle a bunch of 1.5 - 2.5 acre lots this season.

Dave
    :blob2: :blob2:

5. Season 2 Season

Season 2 Season LawnSite Member

I just blow everything into lawn. Then mulch it all up. Charge is on how many I have to go over lawn. Price per cut X how trips over lawn. I find mulching easier on your body.

6. dr grass

dr grass Banned

I cant wait! ! Fall is my favorite time of year. but anyway, i have a 721D grasshopper with a 15 sq. cubic ft. hopper. picks up leves like nothing ive used b4. i can have a pile of leaves in front of the mower 4 ft. high and that mower will just keep sucking and sucking and sucking..... you get the point. i pretty much do the same as everyone else. we go into a job, grab our br400's and hit the beds, drives, walks, decks, around trees, the house, barn, etc.... then while im sucking up the big sections. ill have another guy chewing up the leaves in the thin spots. trim up and your done. depending on the amount of leaves in the yard is how i go about charging. if its minimal and i dont dump alot, ill charge the weekly maintenance price plus an additional charge depending on the size of the yard. if the leaves are deep and im dumping every few stripes, they get an hourly rate of 60.00/hr. good money in those cleanups. aerate and throw down some seed and some winterizer, and call er' good for the year. see ya in the spring.....

Shep :alien:

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Just startin out on my own in the biz.... but the guy I worked for last season (and thus far this year) was charging customers $90.00 / hr. for leaf cleanup (no mowing !!) I thought this was nuts.... who's gonna agree to an hourly rate of $90.00 (!!) instead of an estimate for the job??
    Apparantly enough people, 'cause he/we were busy.
    Personally I don't agree with his thinking (in many ways, that's why I'm going solo:D ) I'd never agree to such an open ended pricing schedule, and I'd never expect a customer to agree to something I wouldn't myself.
    I know I'm going to have a tough time estimating cleanups this Fall, but all the info here sure helps.....

Thanks everybody !!!!

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

In our area, the city picks up leaves from the street twice in the fall. We do the cleanup, and put the leaves in the street. The city comes along and sucks them up. We don't have to pick 'em up, mulch 'em, etc. Just blow 'em to the curb. For the big yards, we put the leaves in a pile, transfer them to a tarp, tie the tarp to the mower and pull 'em out into the street. Dump 'em. That's that.

However, the township areas does not pick up leaves. We don't usually do those areas, but I have been contemplating getting a vac/mulcher and carting them off.

We charge $50 an hour for a 2 man crew. Usually each job takes 1.5 to 2 hours.

:D

9. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: dr, could'nt agree with you more fall is awesome, as for $ we get 125.00 per hr. to blow and pick up, we do about 4-5 jobs a day we all the leaves are down. tony

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Navig8r, keep in mind your old boss wasn't getting $90 an hour if there were two of you. He was getting $45 per MAN hour.
    That seems pretty fair to me.