Fall Cleanup Productivity?!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by TempleLawnCare, Oct 21, 2012.

1. TempleLawnCare

TempleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I hauled 4 loads off that job. From spring to fall I sure have came along way. Went from 1 good backpack to 2, boxed in my trailer, bought the leaf loader, then I boxed my truck in and found a walk-behind blower. I can't wait to see what next year will bring!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TempleLawnCare

Actually my list is up to 17 cleanups now, maybe after I square away a couple personal things I can start looking at my second mower before spring.

3. TempleLawnCare

Oh ya I got a nice old tiller this year to. It's from the 40's. It's a Milwaukee, with a 8hp Wisconsin motor. It's a beast and has allowed me to do lawn repair's, food plots, and flower beds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

How much is your average leaf job?

5. TempleLawnCare

On average about $150. Just depends on property size, how many years has it been since last cleanup, how many trees on property, pines, can I dump on property, can I blow into the woods...etc...I got $600 to do this 1 acre job in the pic, but It hadn't been touched in like 4 years. Took me 2 days and 4 loads....so about $100 bucks in gas & oil....Not bad, I am sure someone else would have charged more. I believe I am charging very fair prices for the area I am in.

6. TempleLawnCare

7. TempleLawnCare

That lazer is a beauty....almost and I mean almost to the fullest, makes me wanna go to the credit union and use my suburban as a secured loan. If I had $1000 to put down and only had to finance $2500 we might be talking. Payments would be about $75/mo could have it paid off in a year, my production would increase and I would be on the path to rebuilding my credit.....hmm the more I type the better it sounds....lol

8. Eurosport

Eurosport LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Just a couple of pointers for you from what I've found works over the years.

If you are working solo then rows are not going to work for you since in order to pick them up you need a driver and hose guy. We used to do the rows but really found it didn't save much time (almost wasted more time).

I used to plow piles with our zero turn but found it was just way too compacted to suck up properly. Now if the pile is too big/far from the truck we just tarp it out using 10X12 tarps if hand pulling or a 15X20 tarp if the tractor can pull it.

A couple of years ago I was trying to move a pile of wet leaves down a customers front hill/yard when I saw they had a 30 inch plastic snow plow shovel and used that. Now all of our trucks have at least one with them for fall. Its amazing that such a cheap tool can be almost more useful than a rake. We use it to load the bulk of the pile onto tarps to avoid weakening the rakes, to push piles once they are too big for the blowers and especially when feeding the leaf loader. You get so much more power out of the shovel versus rakes.

Another thing that ties into the shovel is we try to use the pavement (driveway/curb) as much as possible to avoid friction. If possible we will either blow to the driveway and push the piles with the shovel or make a row along the curb and push it into a pile.

Hope this could help:drinkup:

9. TempleLawnCare

Thanks for the advice euro, much appreciated. I have used a snow shovel to load tarps before, kinda slipped my mind with all this fancy new equipment...lol..I gave up on the leaf rows for the simple fact of the time you are talking about. I will have to grab my snow shovel next time out. Thanks again for the tips.

:drinkup:

10. TempleLawnCare

might have to try dragging a few tarps with my exmark...