Fall cleanup question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by pattytastik, Nov 18, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

Do fall cleanups typically include raking out garden beds that have leaves in them? I gave a price for a fall cleanup and they accepted it. I just got an email from them saying that all of the leaves fell and they just want to make sure that we clean the leaves out of the beds. I guess I was just thinking of raking/mowing the lawn. Is this common?

2. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I get all the leaves. Blow out beds, porches, driveways, carports, decks, shrubs, and everything in between.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

99.9% of leaves, sticks, and other organic debris gone from entire property.

4. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

absolutely. That would look bad to get the leaves off the lawn and leave the beds all messy. when I give a price for leaf removal i inspect the beds and anywhere there are leaves. That goes into the total cost of the removal.

5. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea as the above guys said, everything around the perimeter of the house (other than the roof) gets leaf removal. You may want to get back with them and tell them that the beds weren't included in the price if its going to really take you a while and cause you to lose money. Otherwise, just learn to include it from now on.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is something you should of hashed out when you were bidding the job. Getting ALL the customers expectations before you bid will keep you from losing money and having a dissatisfied customer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

If the beds are going to take a significant amount of extra time that you didn't account for in your estimate I would explain it to the customer. As you have already figured out make sure if they want the beds cleaned out or not before giving a price. Understand clean ups in general take twice the time if not more in some cases so you need to figure for that.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't own a rake but I do blow all the leaves out of the beds. If you are actually raking, you have got to buy a blower.
    I would do as above stated, talk to the homeowner if it going to take you a significant amount of time to get the beds done but either way you have to get them done or I will just about guarantee that you won't be doing it next year. The thing is that you have to set a price and do the all the work for the price. If you don't get paid more for the beds and you sink alot of time in then they will expect the same price next year. Not a good deal. Chalk it up to learning. Good Luck.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes get all the leaves from everywhere. I never rake either. Blow everything into the grass and then mulch it with your new mower.

10. mad87man

mad87man LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I usually just get the leaves off the lawn and then on the last cut i will clean everything up and get the beds.To me its a pain in the ass to blow mulch all over the place and get leaves out every week. Some houses i get them every week depending how big the beds are and if people pay me more. I usually don't charge more for a cleanup.