Fall Cleanup Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Sep 21, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

First year to tackel fall cleanups so I'd like to get an idea of how typical conversations go when a customer calls for the service. It hasn't started yet here, but will in a few weeks. I've read some other posts and saw where the norm is to charge by the man hour. If the customer says how much will it cost over the phone, what are some creative ways to get around that questions without actually say that you charge $50/man hour?

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would not quote a cleanup over the phone. Too many variables, I always walk around with the customer so they can tell me exactly what they want. One rule of thumb at least for me, if you look at the job and think it will take 1.5 hours to complete, add another hour to your price so you actually get paid for 2.5 hours, because it always seems to take longer than you originally thought. Cleanups are my least favorite and are hard to bid. I always make sure to bid high, if I don't get it, thats alright but you don't want to bid them cheap. They are too much work not to get a good price. Good luck!

3. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't price anything over the phone.

4. All_Toro_4ME

Thanks coonman and weeble for the advice. I've read where they are a lot of work, but it seems the toughest part about them is estimating the man hours to complete the job.

5. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I do agree that the quote aspect is not the easiest. But, I enjoy doing the work. I think that you do have to figure longer than you think. We've all done work that should have paid better. Key is, to learn from it. But seriously if they demand a price over the phone, they are just window shopping or a PITA. I don't quote anything over the phone. I like everything to be on a person to person level. Keeping it professional, and putting EVERYTHING in writing. That way you CYA. Good Luck Though.

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

After a while, it gets pretty easy to just look up. I found that the bigger challenge when I first started, was to determine what level of service the customer wanted. Let em fall and pick all of them up or keep it clean all along.

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, make sure you charge more than you think. You can always knock some off the final price.

Coul you explain how you would price something like this, I mean keeping the lawn clean all fall each time you mow? I've been wondering and I'm sure that "All toro for me" is wondering as well.

8. All_Toro_4ME

Well said Lawnut101. I am interested to know his response. Thanks guys for all of the input.

9. OLD MCCORD LAWN COMPANY

OLD MCCORD LAWN COMPANY LawnSite Member

You can't give them quotes over the phone. You have to get the appointment, then find out what they want. There are all kinds out there, some want every leaf gone and some just want the turf clear. Around here in NC we try to make sure all our yards look good for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. One trip won't get the job done unles you wait until February and then you got a job on your hands.

10. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

what to charge per hour just added clean up this year