Fall Cleanups 2006 thus far

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Oct 30, 2006.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering how everyone elses cleanups are going so far? I've been flying through mine with my new equipment i picked up this year.

New for this year is my blower buggy, BG Force 13hp Honda, and Shindaiwa EB8510.

Every time I start up my 8510, I'm amazed at how much harder it blows than the Echo750 I have. It is a little heavier and harder to start, however I find it is much more comfortable to wear than my 750 because the weight is up higher on my back.

The Force is just that; its an absolute animal. Its easier to push around on the hills and undulations than my Little Wonder 10HP, weighs a pound less too. There isn't much noticeable difference in the blowing power of the 10HP LW and the 13HP force until the leaves get up about knee deep, then the force just stomps the LW.

The final new piece I bought was a blower buggy for the Z. No more dead legs and exhaustion for me after a day of cleanups. I looked at the JRCO buggy since I have a jrco leaf plow and mount bar already, however they're $450+ mount bar if you don't have one. My dealer had a Giant Vac buggy for $200, so I picked that up and it is a godsend. It came with 3 straps and a mounting bar. It will work with the JRCO mount if you modify it a little. You have to drill four 3/4" holes and then you'll need a 3/4" stock pipe/conduit/rod to pin it in place. I ended up mounting mine to the REAR of the Z and have my Leaf plow in the front. It is an AWESOME setup, I windrow them with the blower, then idle it down and drop the plow and push them off in to the woods or into a pile to be sucked up. Then raise the plow and cleanup the scraps with the blower again. The best part is not feeling like you pushed your blower 10 miles uphill at the end of the day.

I also modified my JRCO mount to go on a 2" receiver mount, I did this to be able to take off my plow quicker, and more importantly to beef up JRCO's crappy mount bar. My mount bar is 55" wide with about 48" in between the casters it would only take me about an hour of leaf plowing to turn the mount bar into a banana. I've got 2 days worth of leaf plowing on my new mount setup and no signs of bending or breaking yet.

Pictures tomorrow when I remember to take the camera out of the truck.

2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine are all done. Did my last propery last Monday.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I started my clean ups today also, It was the 1st day for the new cyclone rake also. I wished I had it yearsssssss ago. The CR worked like a charm and there was very little dust. I even tried to choke it out in some leaves and it sucked them up like nothing was there.

I bought a used little wonder back in the spring, its a 6 hp but does fairly well and it also performed like a champ also today.

I got a new Redmax 7001 but I didnt take it of the rack today, what little I used a back pack, I used the stihl br340. Its alot lighter and I didnt need much so....... Over all things went good and I picked up a new leaf customer, a neighbor saw me working and came over. After the work was completed she gave me a verbal of to mow next year also!!!!!!!!!!, now if I can get her to sign on the dotted line it will be great.Any way , I have her for the 2006 leaf season and I even got paid for the work today also (think she may be a keeper)

wayne

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

hmm, definitely jealous of that. Leaves are still dropping, about 2/3 are down, still have some oaks and maples that are holding on. I'll be going until snowfall most likely in December.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Tonight / tomorrow 30+ mph winds.

Whatever leaves are down will be down after that, so I'll get started soon.

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I havnt really started yet still have trees with quite a few leaves on them. Maybe later this week, i have a couple lawns that need a final cut first.

7. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

cleanups are going good. very busy. This weekend i got to give a price on leaf removal for a four acre condo complex. Talk about last minute on there part:dizzy:

8. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Here is how my first day of clean-ups started.
    Took on another guy today that "supposedly worked for another company"
    well first off two front tires on my Z-Track were dead, so I leave two guys to finish up the second clean-up of the day. Big mistake, come back and start up another blower to help and notice one of my redmax 7001's screaming a little loader than usual, look over and notice the gas tank looks clear as in not Mix. So I run over to the "new guy" and by the time I get there it stops running. CRAP so now I am down a backpack $200.00 to fix his stupid mistake.
    So by now i am having one of those days :confused: Then this nice lady walks over and says there are some leaves on my pool cover Me again:confused: I politely tell her that they are not from us, maybe from the 50 mph winds we had two days ago and the fact that they never drained their pool and the cover is sitting about 2 feet below sea level. She says well there is one of those pool skimmers in the poolhouse do you think? My response is I am not the pool man!

Other than this and some other petty B.S. the day went well.
    I think that next year I am going to add another Fradan Hydro blower sell a billy goat and hire a driver so I can sit home and watch Oprah!

Yeah Right!
    Hope everyone else is having a better time than I am. Maybe it will get better.

Jason

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Mother Nature eliminated at least 50% of my leaf business last weekend with the high winds. I should be done in a couple of weeks.

10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

i started last week. when i was doing one of my new customers leaves i got 2 more jobs. one of them wants me to mow next year too! all of the new people were fed up with the poor quality of their old lawn guy. my 7001 and bagger is working good for now.