fall cleanups and snow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Nov 25, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Snow is in the forecast, and I still have alot of fall cleanups to complete, anyone else in the same boat? What have you done in the past, just wait for it to melt?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I still have 45 clean-ups to go. With snow in the forcast the phone is ringing. I'll get there when I can get there.

Gene

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Next year will be my 20th, and I cant ever remember snow before Thanksgiving. If we did ever get it, I dont think it lasted on the gorund too long. I get my prime accounts taken care of b4 the holiday anyway, so the ones which are left can wait until spring if they had too.

4. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

another snowstorm heading into New England tomorrow night, could be six inches in Mass and CT. Up here in Vermont we may get less as it is a coastal storm. Luckily the leaves fall earlier here and my cleanups are all done.

Time to stack some firewood. Wish you all the best for the holidays.

Keth

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm definitely in the same boat. Most accounts have been cleaned up at least once, but I have a solid month of work to go. Final clean-ups, lime/fert applications, and gutter cleaning. I like plowing snow but I wish it would hold off until after New Years. Oh well, not much we can do about it! Like Ken said, the snow probably won't last long. One year we had a snow in December that put everything on hold, and we were able to finish in January with weather in the 50's. Have a happy Thanksgiving everybody, Mike

6. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Here near portsmouth, we have already had 3 inches which took 4 days to melt. Which left a wet soggy mess behind. Now more snow??? Well at least plowing is a quick 2500 bucks.....

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I did some clean ups with snow today. Only about 3/4 inch, but boy those grass catchers get heavy when they are half full of snow and wet leaves. Looks like time is running out out east, even here we are going to get some snow, and with these cold temps my remaining few cleanups maybe Spring cleanups.

I suggest getting your prime customers asap before the snow hits.

Jay

8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i have done 1.5 leaf jobs so far, just been waiting for all the leaves to fall and for the ground to dry up, i did half one on sunday then ran out of day light and i did one yesterday, tonday i will finish the one and do another. tomarrow i will do one, but the biggest was scheduled to be done on friday, hopefully the snow will melt IF we get it. whats the forecast for delaware?

9. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem and to make it worse I only do this on weekends. I have learned a good lesson, I am going to save about 4 days of vacation from my main job as a buffer. Between the rain we had and now the snow I have only done 2 cleanups.

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah we have a bit to go here, with snow coming this weekend.

nothing you can do if the snow cover comes...hit em in spring.