fall cleanups prices?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Oct 25, 2003.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

When you guys do a fall cleanup on a house that you mow weekley do you charge extra money for the cleanup. I just did a house that i spent 2.5 hours cleaning leaves then i mowed...total of 3 hours. I told her i wanted 50 bucks an hour. She stated that was fine but next time only wants me to spend the hour either cleaning or mowing. how can i get both done.... I cant.

2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

This is a test , I rergistered, But on your fall cleanups i charge 35.00 per man hr....Marks Mowing Service

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

rmartin, hasn't the grass stopped growing up there in MA by now? its almost done here in CT. i did my last scheduled mow on Oct 16th. After leaf clean ups are done i'll give them one final mowing, but thats it.

4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

grasss is still growing on my well fertilized lawns. after lastnight it should stop, however some clients want the look of a mowed lawn until the snow flies.........I know i should charge for both but i feel bad doing that.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to charge more due the the amount of extra work involved. My regular customers get taken care of first, then the extra "clean-up only" customers after the regulars are finished. The phone doesn't stop ringing for clean-ups every Fall, so there is enough work until the snow falls.

6. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

when i do my regulars do i charge more to pich up the leaves too?

7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Mow and get the leaves up at the same time. Invest in some sort of bagging system. I have an accelerator aluminum bagger and it works great. I use gator blades on my Exmark and they do reduce the volume of leaves considerably. When I start to have to deal with leaves it's 2x mowing price and goes up with the volume of leaves. Dont under any circumstances give away your time. Your customers will come to expect it. My advice is to do exactly what she said work for one hour then leave no matter what it looks like. She may have a moment of clarity after that.

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

There is alot more to Fall clean-ups than picking up the leaves. Debris needs to be cleaned from the beds, flowers and plants trimmed, some plantings packed with mulch, and so on. So the answer is yes you need to charge alot more for Fall clean-ups do to the work load.

For some of my regular customers, I will go to the property and blow off the yard once or twice before doing the Fall clean-up. This is done in the time between the grass stops growing, all the leaves fall off the trees and the snow comes. I will usually charge the regular mowing price for this.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

absolutely. how much do u charge to mow that customer? how long does it take? how long to clean up the leaves?

10. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

it takes a good 45-60 minutes to mow. Today i spent 2.5 hrs picking up leaves and 30 minutes mowing. I told her i wanted $50 per hour x the 3 hours i wasw there. She said it was fine..When she gave my my check i was shocked when i got home and realized it was just the 50 i charge her for the mowing. It was like i gave her a free 2.5 hours of work. Should i go back and tell her i want more?