Fall Cleanups w/o trailer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnboy852, Feb 25, 2010.

1. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

So I work solely in my own neighborhood, and have decent business during the season. However what I really need is a way to do my fall cleanups and deal with leaves, without a truck or trailer. I think that mulching leaves, then bagging them is the best way to go, but I am wondering if anyone has a better option. I have never tried full mulch kits on my mowers (an exmark Metro and a Hustler SWB) and my accounts drop a pretty good amount of leaves...

Also, Would you consider it bad business to bag leaves, then put them out for pickup by the trash?
  2. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

rake them into a pile at the curb and light them on fire. :)
  3. lawnboy852

from PA

Unfortunately burning them is illegal here, i think, or at least greatly frowned upon... Definitely the most fun way to do it though
  4. Creative1

Creative1 LawnSite Member

You sound really limited on your options so sounds like all you CAN do is bag and leave out for the trash. I would atleast time my leaf removal a day or so before trash pickup to minimize how long you have them sitting in front of your customers house. We haul ours off, but that doesn't sound like an option for you. Talk to your customers, if they don't mind sitting them out for the trash, then there is your solution.
  5. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Build a compost bin in your back yard and just throw the bags of leaves on your mower and then throw them in the compost bin. I don't see an issue with this especially in your own neighborhood I don't imagine it would be too hard to do.
  6. lawnboy852

from PA

I actually have a giant compost pile/brush pile in my back yard, so I guess if I bag leaves up weekly there shouldnt be too much at one time to just run back and dump really quick
  7. GrassesGuy

GrassesGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure how many accounts you got or how big your compost pile. I will tell you this leaves pile up fast and you will need a lot of room. If you don't shred them it will be along times before the breakdown. Of course grass clippings would speed up the process.
  8. TMAC

TMAC LawnSite Member

In my area several compaines offer curb side p/u. they come along and suck them up with a truck mounted vac. and dispose of them. mabye find one in your area and cut a deal for multiple homes in one area.. mabye save a couple bucks off price for your pocket
  9. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started I had no truck nor a trailer. For my fall clean-ups I would just bag the leaves and leave them curbside for the city to pick up.
  10. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

They allow that where you are? I would get a ticket if I did that. And I'd still have to haul them away to the composting facility.
    I think your best bet, if you are unable or unwilling to spring for a truck and trailer, is to sub it out. Or, as TMAC suggested, leave them at the curb and have another company, with a vac, come by and suck 'em up.
    If you can leave them curbside and your city will pick them up, that's the way to go. Do they charge for that?