1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall Colors

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cp, Sep 9, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Need help on my fall colors:(

First commercial customer with ornamental beds. Need some ideas for fall color. Approximately 500 sq/ft in 2 beds with a small bed along building front.

Solo operator here and probably want to go with the safest, easiest plan???
  2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I don't know what all of this will do well in VA, but if it were in WI, I'd say:

Viburnum and Burning Bush give nice fall color; Viburnum also have a nice spring display,

Grey Twig Dogwood (woody shrub) has decent display in spring, love the purple foliage against white berries in fall.

Plumbago - low growing groundcover, beautiful bright red foliage against blue flowers in fall. A real eye-catcher!

Wintercreeper also a great choice in groundcover for fall color.
  3. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for quick colour that is temporay then go for fall mums, Kale, and Icicle Pansies. The nice thing about the Icicle Pansies is that they also give a nice eary spring show before you plant annuals. Also Amur maple is nice.
  4. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Yea pansys and mums are big around here.

And Stone, I agree the burning bush is very pretty but I don't think my commercial will want me to install just for fall..I wish though...

Thanks Chris..
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Along the lines of what Stonehenge said you could check into a Sweet Shrub (its like a carolina allspice) similar to the Viburnum and when it defoliates you will have an orangish-red deciduous speciment that is attractive against the snow.

You could also check into the yellow or red tipped dogwoods for attractive foliage and camber when the leaves are gone.

I like the mums and kale myself for fall colors.