Fall Dandelion Control for Northern Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Sep 25, 2007.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I own/op my own small lawn service biz, but am posting this from a homeowner's point of view (my own lawn). When applying a 3 way product like Trimec to a lawn to treat dandelions, when can I expect to see visible results (# of days)? I already did one app about 1 week ago with a hand held sprayer, spot spraying and soaking the leaves of the dandys. Followed mfg directions, mixing 2 Tbsp of conc. to 1 gal water. No rain for days after my app, completely sunny for at least 4-5 days. Has been hot (80's), but now we recd 2 in. of rain and is cooler (60's). We have gotten one killing frost to date, and I did the app about a week after that.

What I am seeing now is the tips of the dandy plants have curled and turned brown, but the plants by no means are 'on their last leg' in my opinion. Should I allow more time for the Trimec to work, or do a 2nd app now? Should I mix stronger than the mfg instructions to some degree? Am I even applying at the right time to knock out a good % of the dandys? I know Trimec is a good product and I want to max. the results. Thanks!
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It usually takes 2-3 weeks and up to 4, that's been my experience with most selective herbicides, then a lot of times at least I have to do it a 2nd time, then it's gtg but wait the 30 days. You can try a stronger mix but I'd do a spot someplace to test first, a lot of times the reason it's so weak is that it doesn't kill the grass, maybe go 10% stronger or 15-20% but not more.
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

The use of a good spreader-sticker, especially real early and real late in the season like now, can help break the natural surface tension on the leaves of the 'dandy' and make the product 'stick' better as well. I know that this is indispensible for clover control, but it helps for all weeds too. Also, some people make the mistake of mowing just before the spray, or too soon afterward. Mowing 'just before' spraying can reduce the 'target' weed surfaces, and cutting too soon afterward can cut off the pesticide prematurely before it can fully translocate. In an ideal world, which we don't have (but you might be able to do in your yard) if it were mowed once a week on a Monday, it should be sprayed on a Thursday.
  4. Marcos

OH, yeah. I forgot. If you can't get the good stuff at an Ag store, Lesco, or wherever, you can use your everyday dish washing liquid (Dawn, Palmolive) as a sticker substitute. I use about a 1 TBS per gallon. But don't try this method if you get 'big' and use recirculating tanks! You'll look like Greg Brady doing laundry!!:laugh:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that stuff would be called the surfactant :laugh:

I've always used dish washing soap, worst part is it foams but man true surfactant is kinda pricey.
  6. Marcos

Well, Topsites, I've always preferred the term 'spreader-sticker' because it always leads the conversation to the old 70's pun made famous by some friends I cherished from CHEMLAWN (when they still were actually a lawn care company, and not just a marketing conglomerate!)

'First you spread-er,
    then you............' :laugh:
  7. haul03486

haul03486 LawnSite Member

Put down some good brand weed and feed this fall and in the spring also.