Fall displays anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Oct 24, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Did a search but didn't find much.

I'm sure some of you must do fall displays/decorations for your customers. I'd like to hear about your experiences with it.
    How you market it, how you price it, and pics, etc.

I was thinking about this for next fall. To keep it simple, I was thinking of offering "packages". Maybe two different ones, a smaller one and a larger one.

Each package would have a certain number of certain items (hay bales, pumpkins, mums, corn stalks, maybe a scare crow, etc.).
    The packages would each have a set price. This way I'm not spending time meeting with the customers discussing endless possibilities. Just 2 packages to choose from.
    They would be scheduled for one specific day, and then I could even offer "take down & removal" after a certain time frame for an additional small fee, also on a specific day.
    For example: set up day is Oct. 19th and take down day is Nov. 29th.
    This way I'm not running around doing these on all different days.
    One trip to the supplier in the morning and then do as many as I can fit in a day.

My hope would be that enough neighbors/referrals would come in that I have to schedule a second run. Example: Set up Nov. 1st. and take down Nov. 30th.

For the size displays I'm thinking of, it wouldn't take much time at all to set one up. Maybe 15-20 minutes tops for two guys. Could do a LOT in one day (if the demand is there).

To market it I could do a display or two for family members, and take photos. Make a flyer up with color photos and mail to the customers with the package deals listed and priced. Give them the set up date and hope the phone rings!

Just sorta thinking out loud here. Interested to hear what others think? Thanks.

2. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE BEEN DOING FALL DISPLAYS FOR SINCE I STARTED IN BUSINESS.
    THIS YEAR WE HAVE DONE 35 DISPLAYS ( RESIDENTIAL ) @ $95.00 EACH THIS INCLUDES REMOVAL AND 3 COMMERCIAL DISPLAYS ( BANKS ) PRICE ALOT MORE...

WE START THEM THE 1ST WEEK OF OCT AND TAKE THEM DOWN AFTER TURKEY DAY..

FOR THE HOME OWNER WE DECOR. THE FRONT PORCH, MY PACKAGE INCLUDES 4 BALES OF STRAW, 6 ASSORTED PUMPKINS, 8 MUMS, 3 CORN STALKS, INDIAN CORN AND SOME FAKE LEAVES.THE BANKS ARE 4 TIMES THE AMOUNT. CUSTOMERS LOVE IT.
    15 OF THE DISPLAYS WERE OF REFERRAL THIS YEAR. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO OWNS WINSOR FARM SO I GET A GOOD DEAL. :drinkup:

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

What is a ballpark amount for your residential displays?

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Damn! They get all that, and removal for $95 ?!? What does all that cost you?

I was thinking of offering about 1/4 of all that for about the same price for the small package.

5. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I bet you guys that do displays don't put them in the lawn. :laugh: :laugh:

I hate when customers put the cheapy decorations in the lawn that fall apart when you try to move them. :angry: :angry:

Have one customer that put long plastic stringy decoration above sidewalk and got all caught up in my blower air intake and wound around fan, took 10 minutes to pull it out!

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

EACH RESIDENTIAL DISPLAY COST ME $20.00 AND EACH ONE TAKES ABOUT 10 MIN. I GET A REAL GOOD DEAL BECAUSE MY FRIEND OWNS THE FARM.

AND NO I DONT PUT THEM ON THE LAWNS

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking on the same price lines as gogetter, I do not know where I can get all the stuff for around 20.00, but that is better for you.
    I did about 4 last year, and I was thinking that more would see them and want them, next year I will try to push them harder, I think there could be some real good money in this stuff.

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I created one recently for my parents for just that reason.To market it for next year.Got the best compliment from one of their neighbors.She brought her dogs over and had photos made of them sitting in front of the display.Made my day :D