1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fall fertilizer ?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by skrats, Aug 20, 2003.

1. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

is 10-10-10 or 12-12-12 good fertilizer for the fall applications. i am thinking that if it is good then i will save a lot of money because it costs less than other.
  2. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

I prefer to use a much higher phosphorus and potassium level then nitrogen for fall fert. apps.

Does anyone else do this?
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

What does the 10-10-10 & 12-12-12 cost you per bag??????? Any slow release N in those????????

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

46-0-0 is best and its nicely priced ive hit my lawns in the fall with 1 lb of n per 1000 for three apps starting abuot mid sept and next season they look great
  5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

TotalLawn, that might draw some fire from folks....using just 46-0-0. What happens to the soils and plants in the long run when you apply only straight nitrogen?

Let's see what happens and who chimes in....

6. EJK2352

The Ohio State University guys say you only need one balanced fert. per season. They recommended soil testing to be sure that P & K and pH were within an acceptable range. They said a high nitrogen fert like 46-0-0 should be used for a final fall app. They said the high nitrogen will help the turf store more carbohydrates and give you an early green-up in the spring. I have done this technique with some good results. I also have used a high K fert 15-0-30 with good results. I use the 15-0-30 on lawns w/ a history of snow mold. I think the extra K helps harden the plant off and reduces the stresses of disease.
  7. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

i can buy 32-5-7 for 12.50 or 10-10-10 for 6.00 and this is for a 50# bag
  8. EJK2352

To put down 1 lb. of N per K, the 10-10-10 will cover 5K and the 32-5-7 will cover 16K. Do the math and you'll see that the 32-5-7 is a better buy. Unless a soil test indicates you need to bring up the P or K, I wouldn't use the 10-10-10. Turf needs N especially in the Fall.
  9. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

The truf will only utilize about a .5 lb of your 46-0-0 .the rest will be lost. I would recommend using a high N balanced fert with at least 50% slow release.

I know it's all about making money using the all mineral products, but in the long run quality lawn will enhance your companies reputation. Like the credit card says, "Thats Priceless".

I would suggest you by your products like you market your company. Do (you) sell yourself as the cheapest?

10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

In the fall we like to apply 2/3rds of the seasons nitrogen. We custom mix our own formula. I have found here in new jersey that a september application of 1/2 lb of actual nitrogen from soluable urea prills and 1/8th lb of actual potassium from potassium sulfate in a tank mix with broadleaf herbicide works well...quick source of sulphur,potassium and nitrogen. The foliar app is very efficient because you get minamal losses from volatilization and 1/2 lb n from a foliar app is equal to 1 1/2 lbs n from a granular source. (uptake is much more efficient)
    We save money on product and the results are Great regardless of soil type.
    Our last app is about 4-5 weeks later. Granular 34-3-11 no sulphur coated urea. We want the plant to take up all of the nitrogen quickly...If we used any s.c.u. on the last app it would continue releasing after the plant stopped uptake and that would be a waste and could possably leach into groundwater.

We use a yellow nozzle on a chemlawn gun and we put down 1 1/2 gal of water per 1000 sq. ft. P.S.I. 80- 100 at the pump.

This is of course for cool season turf only.