Fall grub control w/ Sevin

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, Sep 15, 2007.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm in Ontario, and we applied Merit in July to about 200 customers. Last week we started seeing damage to untreated lawns. Dylox is banned in Ontario. Any other suggestions? Will Sevin work at all?

Thanks, Don

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Yep. Works great. A 10% Sevin granular product at 2 pounds per 1000 sq ft kills 'em fast. Adjust rates of different formulations of Sevin (granular or liquid) accordingly. Water it in, and the grubs die quickly.:waving:

3. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Our label for T & O is 210-290ml/1000. I applied middle of the road (250mL) about 10 days ago and had moderate success.

Personally, I will not be trying any other areas.

4. americanlawn

from midwest

Apply it at the heaviest rate and water thoroughly. It should kill 'em all. Sevin does not last long in the soil, but this time of year, it shouldn't matter.:canadaflag:

5. cenlo

from Ontario

Thanks for the info!

6. americanlawn

from midwest

No prob - Sevin is also very toxic on earthworms, so we also use it for "mole control". Drink a Moosehead for me, eh....good beer. americanlawn

7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

thats because sevin sucks on grubs. best way to kill grubs using sevin is to get down on your hands and knees, hand pick the grubs, place them on the pavement and squash them with the sevin container

8. cenlo

from Ontario

Now that's comedy!:laugh: :laugh:

9. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you have no other choice...be prepared for disappointment (just a friendly warning)
    Please tell us how it goes?

good luck

10. cenlo

from Ontario

Actually the customers have no choice......the one's that recieved the Merit in July are fine (expect the one's that didn't water)...but now, the others have two choices pay to apply a "heavy" amount of sevin and hope to reduce the feeding.........or wait till next June and re-sod!

BTW.....we charged $135.00 to apply Merit (flat rate to 5000ft2) and now $265.00 for Sevin, plus $40.00 /1000ft2 for properties over 5000ft2.