1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall iron in fert.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nitroman, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I have been told by venders that fall iron is a waste of money. I was going to get a 32-3-8 2%fe 30%slow release, but can save a $1.10 per bag with a
    30-5-10 0% iron. one of my spring apps was a 5%fe at .5lbs N per k. Do I save the money and cut out the iron? apps will be made around sept 15 and later at .75 lbs of N per k. thanks
  2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

As temps decrease and soil temps as well, Iron will become less available for absorption to your grass plants. Porbably find it cheaper using a fertilzer without or go a little higher N if your trying to encourage more color, likewsie higher N will to more to promote root developement through the fall.
  3. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Thanks, I'll do just that
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use iron thru this month (sept) then i do a 46-0-0 app. (november) this will set you up for a great spring green-up that you won't beleave.
  5. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

I'm curious, will that high level of Nitrogen burn the grass next Spring, when it starts to wake up?
  6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

7. teeca

up here in the northern states (mid-west) the ky-blue, rye and fescue need the majority of N in the fall, not the spring and summer. as the temps get cooler, the grass will take the N and store it as carbrohydrates, thus in the spring the lawns will green up VERY fast, and you won't have to add a high N fert to get it that way, which saves money (since 46-0-0 is cheap) and you wont get all the fast growth as with a spring N app.
  8. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

I like the idea of the low cost, but can't see how you will not get a huge rush of growth. Timing would have to be PERFECT for this app. If weather patterns begin to sway toward higher temps going into winter months, you will definetly see growth. What about snow mold.

I question this process and view it only as a way to save bling!
  9. teeca

purdue and others have test that show the grass goes thru a change in the fall as temps and daylight get shorter. the grass will store its N (food) in the roots and use it over the winter then when temps get warmer in the spring, it will be healthy and green up faster. as far as snow mold, we don't really get that much snow here 20" yr, and what we do get it melts.