fall is coming....help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajordan193, Aug 22, 2006.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Just wondering what everyone is saying/writing to their customers on how they are doing leaves this year and what they are charging.

What i have come across in the past is when you arrive at a property and its covered in leaves...do u
    1- cut the lawn as normal and bag all the leaves?
    2- try and speak with the customer and see what they would like you to do?
    3- not touch the property until its cleaned up?
    4- charge them for the clean-up and not the lawn cut?

Please keep in mind i bag every property....

2. ajordan193

from WNY

any thoughts?

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well right or wrong, In my Sept billing that goes out sept 15th, Im stating that leaf season starts anytime after Nov 1st (maybe earlier depending on the season) and that the bill will be in the mail on Nov and Dec 15th.

I started this year with a 9 month contract and some of the yards allready have leaf removal figured in the monthly amount

I should of stated that most of the time.......by the time the leaves are falling......the grass has about came to a halt. Sometimes a customer will get there grass cut and leaves mulched. I almost never bag before Nov 1st, unless the customer is paid up and is a 9 month contract (Leaves included in the price)

wayne

4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still trying to decide: charging by the job or by the hour.
    Last year everything was by the job, but I poorly estimated some of them (you know the ones where you can't really tell how many leaves are on the ground, and then you do the cleanup and there's 10x what you expected).

So I'm thinking by the hour would be good, but would it fly with customers... b/c they usually want to know how much $$ we're talking.

I'm not sure what to do yet either!

5. ajordan193

from WNY

Thanks for the replys. Just trying to get going on what i am going to do since fall is rapidly approaching and i already have leaves on some propertys.

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I may go to hourly next year, over the last 4 years even the same properties have varied greatly but I estimated based on previous years and got screwed .