Fall Lawn Ferts Any Good ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EdTLawn, Sep 24, 2007.

1. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

$35 per 30#bag would seem way way high to me.

but $3.75 per 30#bag (thanks for doing the conversion...I just cant catch on to metric) your lookin good

I have no experience with this brand

3. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

Yup, thats what they normally sell for at national chain hardware stores here in Canada. CIL(Canadian Industries Ltd) is a premium brand like Scott's here in Canada, they are into all sorts of chemicals products like paints, ferts and explosives etc...

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

explosives to huh? thats interesting

again i have no experience with that brand but at $3.75 per bag sounds like you got a very good deal. (also sounds like CIL has quite a mark up on their product)

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. Looks like a high quality fert. Your cost per acre at $3.75 per bag is about the same that we pay for semi-load orders of 34-3-12 30% slow-release. You definitely got a great deal for such a small order.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

not much N for fall fertilizer?

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya, but if he goes 9 pounds per 1000 sq ft, he'll hit one pound of N per 1000. I guess that's why I prefer LESCO's 34-3-12. With late fall/winterizer, it's good to apply even heavier. Actually our cost per 1000 is less than this guy is spending, but I thought I'd make him feel a little better -- especially because of the quality of fert he got. He certainly got a great price considering the low quantity.:waving:

8. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

Correction, its 12-3-18

I heard you don't need much N for winter fert, just more on the potassium for strong cell walls.

I think I will go pick up some more tommorrow !

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

The high potash is good, but I like to put a couple pounds of N between now and the end of November.

10. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

Picked up another half a dozen bags today, today they had Scotts 32.34lbs bags of 24-3-12 Wintercare Pro Ferts for the same cost.
    http://www.scottscanada.ca/index.cf...t/documentId/179A449E1FB571C813011190D0804AD3

Can I use this type of ferts for the spring and summer too ?, I like the fact it has alot of potash so the grass will stand up when I leave it long.

Dang, I don't have anymore space in my shed to get anymore ..LoL