Fall Leaf clean-up...bagging leaves?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by walds11, Oct 20, 2006.

1. walds11

walds11 LawnSite Member

I live in a township where they require leaves to be bagged for curb side pick-up. I picked up an Echo PB-413T Backpack Blower at the end of last season. The blower rocks, especially coming off an electric blower. My property is almost a 1/2 acre. It does not get hammered with leaves, just spread out throughout the season. We have 3 leave pick-up dates in the fall, so I usually blow atleast 3 times a season and do some small clean-ups here and there. Blowing them into piles is the easy part, it's the bagging that's a pain. Any ideas or shortcuts for bagging leaves? I thought about getting one of those leaf grabbers.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

If it makes a job easy i say go for it.
  3. haydenb

haydenb LawnSite Member

If you try one of those devices and like it let us know... After paying 250+ each fall for leaf pickup the past two years... I'm sitting on almost 1 acre... I decided to go for it myself this year. I mow my own lawn and like working outside so why not! I just bought a Redmax 7001 so getting the leaves in piles should be short work... but then the dreaded bagging! Actually my strategy is to wait for a few more gusty days like this past weekend and let most of the leaves blow into the neighbors' yards... lots less bagging :)
    And then once the bagging is done, I am the lucky owner of two giant sweet gums which drop tons of prickly balls each spring. Wait... Did I say I like working outside in the yard?:dizzy:
  4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

The town I live in doesn't require the leaves to be in bags, so I don't have the problems described in this thread. But if that were not the case, I'd seriously go in for mulching the leaves as discussed here.

A lot of the pros seem to think highly of mulching. Maybe you who do have to bag the leaves should consider this.
  5. haydenb

haydenb LawnSite Member

Mulching... thanks great suggestion. I really should try that. I have a Gravely Pro walk-behind mower I bought used off a friend a couple years ago so I should have plenty of power for mulching... just need to see about getting a mulching kit for my 50" deck.
  6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

That site I referenced also had a lot of discussions about what blades to use when mulching leaves, as well as how to configure those blades. I didn't see any real bottom line that everyone agreed to, but apparently one could benefit from some of that advice in addition to just blocking the discharge port with a muching kit. Lots of funny names, like gator blade, raptor blade, etc., but for your mower, the following web site shows only a "mulching" blade.