Fall Leaf Cleanup - How I Do It

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Darryl G, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I did an intermin fall cleanup today and took some pics to demonstrate how I do it these days. The property had last been serviced 16 days ago at which point I did a mow an initial intermim cleanup - filled the double bagger 3 times at that point.

I hear a lot of guys talking about waiting until all the leaves are down before doing a cleanup. That's not how I do it. I keep doing maintenance mowing/cleanups on all my properties at intervals from weekly to every 2 or 3 weeks. I really don't like to let the leaves sit on the lawn...unsightly and smothers it and I can't be everywhere all at once after the last leaves drop and before winter comes. This property gets a lot of leaves. There's still a lot on the trees at this point. No way I'm going to let them get all wet and matted.

The process: pre-blow leaves into area accessible to mower, grind up a bit, bag, dump to dump trailer. Sometimes I'll dump them on a tarp and drap that up. Most of the time I'll just ride the mower up to the trailer. I do portions at a time in case something breaks down or it rains. So first I did the entire front, then moved on to the back.

Well here's some pics. #1 front side yard, #2 left rear, #3 rear, #4 rear, #5 front after pre-blow with backpack blower

molly fall 2010 001.jpg

molly fall 2010 002.jpg

molly fall 2010 003.jpg

molly fall 2010 004.jpg

molly fall 2010 005.jpg

2. Darryl G

#1 & 2 more front after pre-blow, #3- 5 front after cleanup with mower bagger

molly fall 2010 006.jpg

molly fall 2010 007.jpg

molly fall 2010 008.jpg

molly fall 2010 009.jpg

molly fall 2010 010.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  3. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member

Sweet pics Darryl. What blowers do you use and what kind of blades do you have on your z?

4. Darryl G

More pics. #1 another of front after cleanup with mower, #2 mower and leaves from front in trailer, #3 close up of leaves from front, #4 rear after pre-blow with backpack and 10HP wheel blower, #5 rear pile after pre-blow

molly fall 2010 011.jpg

molly fall 2010 012.jpg

molly fall 2010 013.jpg

molly fall 2010 014.jpg

molly fall 2010 015.jpg

5. Darryl G

Blower is Shindaiwa EB 630 (my old one since leaves were dry - newer one has a little more power) and 10 HP Billy Goat. Mower is 2003 52 inch Lazer Z HP witht the 23 Kawi and Ultravac (got a hole in plastic housing blowing crap in my face :(

Final set of pic #1 tools used, besides the mower, #2 total amout of shredded leaves collected (about 1/2 7 x 12 trailer full, #3 me with Billy Goat holding my cam, and #4 ready to roll.

The purpose of this is to demonstrate one way to do a fall cleanup. I've done this property for several years and tried it every way there is....the way I did it today, hauling the leaves out in bulk primarly and using a leaf loader primarily. For the pile from the rear I wouldn't have minded having a leaf loader out there.

So any guesses on how long this took me and what should I charge, lol. I already know how long it took and what I'm going to charge but thought I'd give y'all something to talk about, lol.

And before anyone comments. I DIDN'T TRIM THE SHRUBS - an out of work neighbor did!

Oh, blades are gators.

molly fall 2010 018.jpg

molly fall 2010 020.jpg

molly fall 2010 022.jpg

molly fall 2010 023.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say 2 hours ...including drive time.

7. Darryl G

If you can do that, you're hired. I'll even pay for your flight, lol.

8. Green Industry Pro

How much help did you have? Was it just you or did you have a 3-4 man crew?

9. Darryl G

Just me. No help at the moment. One 48 year old man.

10. Green Industry Pro

Hmmm.how long did it take? hmmmmm? Btw, nice job going solo, thats a lot of work for just one guy.