Fall leaf collection

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ernie_h, Nov 18, 2013.

1. ernie_h

ernie_h LawnSite Member

First Fall season on our property, thinking about how to handle the leaves. Property is on the lake, close to 3 acres, with about 120+ post oaks. Front acre has house, lawn, and about 40 post oaks....I can mulch the leaves on the lawn relatively easily with a walk-behind or ztr. Back 2 acres between house and lake has most of the post oaks, some green on the ground, but a lot of bare loose (sandy) dirt as well. Would like to collect the leaves back there and mulch up a fair bit of them for use in the wife's garden. Too many trees to drag around a lawn vac for pick-up on the ztr........but I do have a good blower (husky 570) that is great at blowing the leaves into large piles. Leaves me with how to collect and mulch them.....any suggestions? From the threads I've been reading, wondering if something like one of the less expensive cyclones would be an option....drag it around to the leaf piles with the ztr (or maybe an ATV/side-by-side?) and collect the leaves through a hand-held hose? OTOH, entirely possible that I may be way off base!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Cheap way is to tarp. Best way will be to find a smal leaf loader ( 11-18hp ) and make a box on a trailer or truck with a dump. If they are big oaks that is a ton of leaves to tarp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ernie_h

ernie_h LawnSite Member

Thanks much for the post......and, yes, they are mostly all big oaks :)

4. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ditto on the loader. but why not just mulch and leave it for natural ground cover?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends how far you have to drag the leaves and if you have enough room for that many. There is a decent amount of reduction in size with a loader.
    Posted via Mobile Device