Fall Leaves: what do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Jun 13, 2001.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what do you guys do/suggest when it comes to fall leaves, i live in an area where there are lots and lots of mature trees that make my life a living hell when it comes to the fall... i have a echo pb-201 (i hope that's right) but i know that there has to be something better to use to move a lot of leaves.. does anyone use a parking lot blower to get leaves off of lawns? i've been thinking about that and i'm not sure if it would work or be practical...

Jeremiah

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeremiah,
    Welcome to LS! There's a great search feature at this site that you'll want to try. There were some real good threads about leaves last fall that had tons of info that you will find helpful. The search button is toward the top under the banner ad. Try "leaves" & "fall clean ups" to find those threads. Good luck.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You can go a number of ways for leaves.

1) Get a 8-10hp (parking lot blower) and blow into a pile. Then get a truck loader 18-25+hp and suck them up into a truck.

2) Depending on the type of mower, get a bagger system for it. Either an aftermarket make with a seperate engine or an OEM with spindle driven impeller fan. Then just dump your hoppers or bags into your truck and move on.

Either way is going to be $2000- $5000. A big (parking lot) blower is a nice investment as it is very usefull for other blow jobs. (no pun intended) You still need a backpack blower for blowing out beds and other small areas. So its wether you want to buy a leaf loader or a bagging system.

Good Luck

4. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

heres the order i do it in.

blow out all beds with my bp blower .then mulch them WITH THE MOWER. then what evers left hit it with a rake or double cut it.bag it or tarp it. then use a ground blower ....the property will look spotless this way..good luck to u.but definataly ground blowers are the best for cleanups...

5. i have found that the best way to do it is to blow out the gardens. then go over the turf areas with a ztr such as a walker, cougar, Z with a peco vac or something like that. the parking lots just keep a big 9 hp honda little wonder blower with you and blow em into a pile, however in a lot of parking lots the leaves seem to accumulate in certain areas and not all over the place. try using a lawn mower, goes much much faster.

6. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

We're real lucky here. The city comes around and sucks up the leaves curbside. Just blow the leaves with a couple BR400's onto a tarp in the backyard and dump them in a pile ont the curb. The fronts even better, just blow them down the lawn into a pile. We get some monster piles at the curb and the city comes around and sucks 'em up. Anyone else get this kind of royal service from their local gov't??

7. AielLandscaping

we have curbside pick up as well.. so i don't have to haul the leaves away.. i'm just wondering if it would be better to get the largest backpack i can and/or a parking lot blower for my residential houses (all my customers are residential) and/or a debris loader to suck them off the lawn?

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I use my backpack blower to blow out all the leaves from the beds then just go at it with my Toro. I usually bag the leaves so I have to borrow my grandpa's Toro since mine doesn't bag but this year I'm gonna use my Groundsmaster since it bags. I did one leaf removal last year and they pay fairly well since most people hate dealing with the job. If you've got a ZTR, JRCO makes a Leaf Plow for them. I've heard they work pretty well. Just hook it up and plow away. It would save alot of time if you had a truck loader. Just push all the leaves to the curb and suck 'em up. A parking lot blower would be nice if you have large properties to do, but you will still need a backpack blower to get into the small places. Plus with the parking lot blower, you can do other jobs as well with it. Might be a good investment, but they will run you anywhere from $1,000-$2,000 for a good sized one.

9. AielLandscaping

oh ya, forgot to say that i don't have a ztr just yet, so that's not going to be an option for this fall, although next spring i'm going to get a 36" great dane super surfer.. so if you think that would work for leaves let me know

10. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Get the largest backpack much more versatile for doing res. props. Parking lot blowers can't blow out the beds . Backpacks have plenty of power for most res. cleanups. You don't need a debris loader if the city's sucking them for you.