Fall Leaves

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by soilman, Oct 20, 2005.

1. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

For the 1/8 to 1/3 acre lots in my area, to do fall cleanups, do I need a rolling leaf-vacuum-shredder, or can I compete if I have a backpack blower, a leaf rake, a snow shovel, a pitch fork, a garden fork, lawn and leaf bags, and a 25 gallon garbage can (to prop up the bags while I'm fillin them) ? I also have a mulching-bagging mower which, as it says in the users manual, can work fairly nicely to chop up piles of raked up (or blown together) leaves and decrease their volume, and put them into the "grass" bag.

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Were you wanting to haul the leaves away from the property, or bag the leaves and leave the bags at the street?

3. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

I can't haul the leaves away. The town publishes a collection schedule. I have reprints of it. They collect leaves from the curb, fairly frequently, during the fall leaf-cleanup season. I would just leave bagged leaves at the curb. Or if they want to compost their leaves, I would instruct the property owner to buy some chicken wire or welded wire fencing, then I would make a cylinder of it, about 4 feet high, and put the leaves in there to become excellent compost, esp if some grass clippings are added, and a little lime and nitrogen plant food to speed up bacterial action, and some soil placed on top to minimize blow-away from the top. Someone would have to give it water occasionally, and turn it, mix it, once every few weeks or so. I think most people will opt for bags and collection, but the more "enviromental" types might go for composting, esp since about 12 feet of 4-ft wide welded wire fencing costs only about $8.00 I think, and will make about a 4-ft diameter cylinder. Or I could make simple piles with no wire. Just put soil on top. Tho I have no way to get my big Troy Bilt tiller over there to loosen up soil.