Fall overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Oct 4, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I'm new at this so bear with me.... I've heard that fall is a good time to overseed but isn't it counterproductive to try to get grass seed to grow when grass is supposed to be going dormant?

Just wondering,

Joel B.
  2. Just the opposite my dear Watson.

Grass you want to get established before it is stressed by heat and drought, what would be the longest period time to do this?

Fall is the answer. When seeding in the fall, you get the seed to germinate, mature a bit, and get maybe a few cuttings in before it becomes time for dormancy. In doing this you wait until the hot weather breaks right at the end of the summer, and then it is an all out war for seeding lawns. Fall is the time you want to thicken turf up, and feed it heavily. This sets up your next season.

In dealing with turf you want to try and be 6 months a head of what’s going on, this is one of the electives of fall set up.

You are setting up for the next 2 seasons, 1) By seeding and filling in damaged turf, bare turf, or whatever to the turf, and 2) Heavy feeding for the spring to arrive.

I like to call it “setting the lawn up.”
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add to LGF's that just because the top is dormant doesn't mean the roots are dead.

Thankfully we don't get tons of snow here, but last winter I put fescue down as a cover on my garden for the winter. I even did it late in the year. I never even had to cut it. The top growth was not more than about 3" tall all winter. But in Feb. I dug some up and checked the roots. What I found was they had been growing all winter and were over 6" deep.