Fall pre em?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HoseJockey, Sep 6, 2006.

1. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Could anyone recommend a granular fall pre em for bermuda turf?

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Lesco or ProSource One in Memphis. They have anything that you can think of. Barricade, Pendi, Dimension on fert. I bought some 5-5-20 with .38 barricade for 21 a bag from Pro Source One. I bought this for days it was to windy to spray.

If you are dealing with bermuda, just spray the herbicide and save some money. You don't need any more N and using a unecessary fert carrier is a waste of money.

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a pre for crab, prodiamine is probably the best choice for fall. If you want one for broadleaf, gallery.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Our enemy in the South is Poa Annua in warm season turf.

Barricade and Pendimethalin both provide good control. No idea about Dimension, but I can't see why one would choose it for a Fall app anyway.

5. hmartin

Isn't gallery very expensive. Simazine is the most popular for broadleaf around here and its about 50 bucks for 2.5 gallons.

6. hmartin

I have never used Dimension, but what would be wrong with using it in the Fall. It is labeled for Poa and about 20 broadleafs including the ugliest weed on the planet---Henbit.

7. ThreeWide

Barricade and Pendi control henbit too, but you pay a premium for Dimension and its ability to have some post activity on crabgrass. In the South, Dimension is great for those mid-Spring apps where you got a new account and missed the window. Since Dimension is more costly in my area, I avoid it with those exceptions.

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. Dimension sells at a slight premium here, too, and always seems to be on a carrier fert for granular apps. Since I split my pre-m's now and in Dec, I don't want a carrier fert in Dec.

I'll use Dimension for the new accounts that have crab breaking through during the season.

9. ThreeWide

I also heard one opinion that the folks above the transition zone use Dimension extensively because of one particular reason. Spring can be very short in those zones, so they often deal with crabgrass germinating suddenly. They often cannot get preemergent out early because of snow cover.

In the South, our Spring is longer with more predictable temperature patterns, which allows us to get our preemergents out well ahead of crabgrass germination.

10. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Thanks for the responses. The reason I was asking about granular pre is because we are going to buy a Z-spray or the Stealth from C&S for next years fert and spray. I was thinking about using the machine on our bigger props. with a granular pre for efficiency. Wanted some other opinions on the matter.

Thanks