Fall Renovation ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpudsM15, Aug 17, 2005.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys from the north east...
    What seed do you guys prefer for renovations. Double Aerating, Light topsoil and peat moss mix to fill the holes. Seed also raked in...

Also About how much coverage do you get in terms of SQ. FT for a topsoil peat moss mix???
  2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Sun or shade? Irrigation or none? Soil type? Why peat moss?

If you want to improve the soil add compost.

3. SpudsM15

Well Any condition... Shade or sun.... Decent lawn.... Totally burnt, Reseed...

I use peat moss because it does not stink... It retains moisture good and adds to the organic content of the soil....
    I'm still learning what to do... I've had decent results with peat moss...
  4. Dreams To Designs

Peat moss adds no organic benefits to the soil. It does hold moisture and take up space, and that is all. Properly cured compost will add organic matter, micro organisms, nutrients and hold water when needed and improve drainage in heavy soils. You will have better results with compost. Be wary of "organic topsoils". Many are a slimy, sticky mess that the dealers tell you is improved soil.

As for seed, a turf type tall fescue blend with about 10% bluegrass added in seems to be the best for overall use. Check with your local supplier to see what works best in your area, but I have had good success with this recipe in South Orange and Kinnelon, as well as the southern half of the state.

5. Love2Cut

Love2Cut LawnSite Member

One of the advantages of Peat is that it doesnt contain weed seed. Where is the best place to get good compost that is cured properly so there wont be any weed seed?
  6. Dreams To Designs

Your right, peat does not normally contain weed seed, as it will not sustain growth. Peat is also acidic, which will not benefit turfgrass.

Nature's Choice in Upper Deerfield has excellent and clean compost. We have also had luck with County Conservation (5 Points Landscape Supply) in Sewell.

7. SpudsM15

Do you use a Lesco blend of Fescue and bluegrass?

About what ratio do you put down top soil and compost.... when doing a over seed... Aerate, spread and rake style...
  8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I will ask the same question as above. Why peat moss? Are you trying to change the soil profile or add to the lawn in general?

If you are topdressing, compost will work better but if they have good soil none is needed.

Aerate the devil out of the lawn. Do not worry about getting too many holes. Use a rolling aerator as they tend to fracture the soil as the tine moves through the ground. this also loosens up the soil. The more holes the better.

Wait till the cores are dry enough to break up probably a day or so depends on soil and heat. Then go back and seed using a slicing overseeder with as close as spacing as you can get. Or spread the seed and use a verticut unit to slice and cut in the seed.

The slicing or cutting action of the seeder / verticut will break up the cores (if they are dry) and move the seed to low spots and into the holes giving you good seed / soil contact.

Water right after the process and move into the aftercare part of the project.

Remember when using a slicing overseeder the soil must be fairly dry. the unit should make dust when it is working. Wet soil will spoil your seeding job.

9. Dreams To Designs

I have used the Transition blend fescue, but added my a kbg from a different source. The former manager of my local Lesco would not bring in the Tuf Turf, which is their fescue/kbg blend. I usually only spec what is installed and leave it up to the installers. On small jobs I still do myself, I have blended the seed myself. 50lbs fescue to 5lbs kbg. I received Jonathan Green Black Beauty from a rep last year and it is a beautiful turf type tall fescue. I mixed in the 10% kbg on my own and am very happy with the results. It was green most of the winter and by April was thick, green and lush and has done very well this summer with occasional irrigation.

A top dressing of the compost is all that is needed when over seeding. Maybe a little more in bare spots as a base and top dressing. You don't want to smother the grass that exists, but give the seed soil contact and moisture retention.

Depending on the soil condition; clay, compacted or new construction, aerate. Sandy loam gets a dethatching or raking, then seed, fertilize and top dress with compost. Always best to use a slit seeder if you can, but some object to their precious lawn being "torn" up. You will get much better germination with a seeder than just spreading over the top.

10. SpudsM15

What is the approx. coverage of the compost???
    I figured for a decent lawn that was burnt out because of poor watering. About 1000 sq.ft per cu.yd of topsoil mixed with peat.
    Now if I mix compost with top what coverage would be estimated...
    I need to bring in the topsoil to level some low spots....