Fall replanting....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chrisexv6, Sep 3, 2007.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 LawnSite Member
    from CT

After getting some quick lawn up and running during the spring/summer, I want to start all over and do it right now that its fall (or very shortly anyway).

The ground Im going to replant on is pretty packed, some of it is exposed dirt, most of it is the remnants of the cheap Scotts "quick green" stuff and weeds mixed in.

Whats the easiest way to get this ground ready for planting? I also need to level it off some, so I was planning on getting enough topsoil for 3" (packed) and another 1 to 2" (loose) on top of that. Before dropping all of this down, should I think about loosening up whats already there? There are some high spots, so I wanted to get the whole area as close to level as I can before I bring on the fresh dirt.

I have a lawn tractor that I would use with a roller to pack down the topsoil. Any attachment that I might be able to use to loosen up the existing soil? Or maybe something that I can rent for a day or two?

Thanks in advance.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, It sounds like you certainly have the inspiration and spirit ready for the job! It might be easier to help you if you posted a couple of pictures (of what you have right now) from a couple of different angles. Q's for you: Is your existing soil really that bad? Is it too clayish or too sandy, or just too packed?
    You'd need some type of tilling 'disc' attachment to loosen that, and I don't think you'd find one of those for your lawn tractor! And sometimes those (mild) uneven areas underneath can help HOLD your topsoil from slipping down the hill during a driving storm.