fall seeding when is it to late and where to find a soil temp forcast?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by landscapedesignpros, Oct 2, 2011.

1. landscapedesignpros

landscapedesignpros LawnSite Senior Member

I have a large seeding project that includes some water retention areas and slopes about 3 to 1 I know it needs to be at 54 degrees for the grass to do any thing, dose any one know of a site that shows a soil temp forcast? I have found sites that give the current temp, the last 8 days temp but I cant find a soil temp forcast any where. What Im looking for is basicly a forcast of how much longer it will be warm enough to still seed

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Try this--its data from 2010. Illinois. Champagne.
    http://www.isws.illinois.edu/warm/data/2010/October/Champaign.txt
    You start out at 67 and end up at 58 on Halloween.

Good luck! Should work OK, but don't wait too long.

I don't know what is considered "too late", but of course bluegrass is slow, tall fescue is faster, per rye is fastest. If you absolutely must have fast germination pregerminate in warm water before sowing it. See my experiments from last year.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. landscapedesignpros

thats really great how did you find that?

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

5. mattb84

mattb84 LawnSite Member

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Get a thermometer dude, they aren't that expensive. Those maps aren't super accurate you know.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I just go by experience. Oct 15th is the absolute latest I will plant grass here for a renovation, espeically since I plant mostly TTTF and it likes warmer temps. If it's a necessary repair due to ruts or something I'll plant later with a mix with about 1/3 ryegrass just to get it stabilized for erosion control.

8. landscapedesignpros

As I said in my post I am wanting a forcast for what the ground temps are projected to be for this fall, last time I checked a thermometer only tells you what the current temp is

9. landscapedesignpros

thats the same dates I typicaly use except its been real dry this year and were seeding in an area that will see some water over the winter and need to make sure I have coverage other wise Im going to lbanket it

10. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member