Fall thatching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Jul 29, 2000.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I plan to thatch this year in the fall. I bought a thatcher a bit late this spring and have only gotten to use it once. I need to make the money back this fall. What differences is there for that time of year.<p>In the spring you can thatch, seed and fert, and then water. Easy money. I would not think that it would be that easy in the fall. Is there a diff to get the lawn full again before winter sets in? WIll it be the same as in the spring with everything filling in nicely? thanks for your help all.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I think the work you do in the fall has more of an effect than in the spring.When I aerate/reseed/thatch in the fall,I get healthy new gowth that has all of fall and next spring to get its roots well established,with some 10/20/10,I always have strong grass by the time the summer heat stresses take effect.I also am heavy on late fall fertilizing,its a tough sell to homeowners,but its the best time to do it.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I use a spring tine dethatcher with my Walker and Toro but in my 5 years in business I have never had any requests for fall thatching. <br>One thing I would think you need to consider is the wetness of the lawn. I also cut the long lawns down before I thatch in the spring. If its too wet or too long you will have lots of problems. <br>Fall is a great time for aeration and this also helps rid the lawn of thatch if done correctly.

4. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

I hope this doesn't sound to stupid, but what's the difference between thatching or de-thatching and core aeration? I thought you could accomplish the same results with core aeration. Also, when seeding along with aeration do you need to add straw after or just leave seed lay on top of ground?

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Aerating removes plugs from the topsoil,dethatching only scratches the topsoil and rakes the grass with spring tines.I find dethatching not necessary unless lawn is neglected and cleanups delayed to long or not done,unless you have bluegrass which naturally needs thatching more often.Aerating is somenthing every lawn could use in spring and fall if you want real nice turf.After I aerate,I reseed,then I drag a 5ft drag mat over it and this drags most of the seed and dirt back into the holes,this is not a neccesary step,but it helps germination time and looks a lot better-its just a habit I got from working at golf course,just more professional I guess,then I put down some starter fertilizer and your set.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Acute Cut: &quot;In the spring you can thatch, seed and fert, and then water. Easy money.&quot;<p>My first question is where do you live and what type of grass are you planting in the spring?<p>Around here, if you aerate & seed in the spring you are robbing the customer and not doing what is in the best interest of the customer. It also looks bad on you as a business because the job you did will fail.<p>Grass seeded in the spring will start out fine and looking good, but, when the heat comes the immature grass dies and you are the first one that is blamed. I refuse to seed a lawn in the spring unless it has irrigation.<p>Grass seeded in the fall (cool season grass), will have more time to mature and when the heat starts next year it is healthier, thicker, and fights off drought better.<p>Just my $0.02 worth.<p>Ray<p>