Fall Trees In Early Summer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CLARKE, Jul 8, 2001.

1. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

I am in the north west corroner of ILL and something i have seen
    and that is some kind of maple trees in early June & July have
    turned lite yellow and stayed that color so far, In may we had
    many lower 40's and days in the mid 60's i'm thinking that some
    i don't know what kind Maple trees have been tricked in to thinking it's fall all summer. Can this be true??:eek:

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What your seeing is lack of water, trees are shifting to fall mode because of little ground water and high stress.

3. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Thanks Paul, but we had over 5 inches of rain in may into early
    June, but since June 10th or so we have had maybe an inch, But the trees changed this color in early June right after the 5 inches of rain in May. So i think that the trees are being tricked and strested.

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Actually it sounds more like the trees are drowning. Maple trees will readily drown, aka root and crown rot, if the roots are left in standing water too long. The inital symptoms are similar to chlorosis, Iron deficency.

Anouther factor may be disease. In cool wet weather Verticillium wilt can cause the type of yellowing you described.

Has there been any recent building activity in the area, or anything which may have changed the drainage patterns ?

Jim L

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Little if no ground moisture, your in Wilsons area go take to Roger about how little moisture is really in the ground. We have water trucks out now watering plants every 4 days (they are tested first). Januuary, Feburary, March , and April where short of rain fall/snow, May was close to normal or a little above in some places, June was short and It looks like July will be too, That 5" of rain in may was ok, we only got 3.25 " some places got a few gully washers not the nice slow soaking rains that we really need.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

heard acid rain can cause this???

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Just to update this, We were on two sites today excavating for retaining walls, one site we went down 6' along a stream bank, cutting over 8' wide, NO soil moisture- none!!! Another site we were digging for a walkway this was a sodded area we had to go down over 3' along one side, no moisture on this site either.

Get the hoses out guys in the mid-west no rain in sight for the next week!!

8. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

clarke,
    How tall are these trees ?

Jim L

9. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

These trees are all of 40 feet tall maybe taller thanks for the help.