Fall vaccuming business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobslawncare, Dec 23, 2005.

1. bobslawncare

bobslawncare LawnSite Member

In my neck of the woods of Western Illinois, the law makers are trying to outlawn leaf burning for our local residents, but are only willing to pick leaves up in bags.

Has anyone had any success with leaf pickup. I am considering purchasing a debris loader and picking up leaves curb side. Cost is estimated to be $25 per 15 minutes. With residents that have large lawns, they do not have to bag their leaves and will not have to purchase a large number of bags at a $1 a piece.

I also have a place to dispose of the mulched up debris for free. Anyone have any success or not? Thanks.
  2. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

bob, i actually have done well with curb vacing. customers blow or rake to the street and we will vac them up. i charge a min of 45 to show up, then it goes up from there. i also charge dump fees. leaf burnig regulations will only help you.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Wow 2006 and they are just now getting to "no Burn Laws"
    I am from Chicago and we had to stop that in the 70's.
    But yes it can be very profitable. Just get the right equipment to make the job go fast.
  4. bobslawncare

bobslawncare LawnSite Member

They have wanted to abolish burning for quite some time, but city governments do not wish to spend the money for an alternate way of disposing of the leaves.
  5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

There is good money to be made doing this. Just be cautious when using the vacum. A lot of these fools will throw all kinds of crap in the pile that can really damage your equipment and hurt someone. I had someone call me to pick up a load his kids had just raked to the road ditch. Right, the ditch was about 3' deep and fiiled with 2' of soaking wet leaves and sticks. I learned my lesson.........and so did he.

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could do that....we have a burning ordinance and the city has about 6 trucks with vacuums so they offer the service...:cry: :cry: