1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fall webworms already (mulberry)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 29, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Yesterday, I noticed two small webs in a large mulberry tree. This is the earliest I've ever seen 'em, so I emailed our land-grant university's head of entomology to let him know (we stay in touch). He kindly replied that this was the first report of fall webworms in the state this year...I felt good. Anybody else seeing them? I know they are widespread throughout much of the Country.:usflag:
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think many insects (grubs) are running a few weeks ahead of schedule this year! it could be from the early warm temps, we had high 80s in early may this spring!
  3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

About 870 GDD is their egg hatch. Also about same time as Greenspire Littleleaf Linden is in bloom and Panicle Hydrangea. Japanese Tree Lilac Bloom @ 810 GDD.

Get them early. Also this pest only eats within its nest. So don't over do the spraying.

Should call em' "summer webworm" LOL

Pete D.